What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thank you for being a friend...

So recently I unfriended a bunch of people on Facebook.

Bad form?

First of all, I'll admit that I'm not that crazy about "social networking" in the first place. I never did MySpace. I don't do Twitter. I joined Facebook late in the game only because I wanted to keep in touch with some far away relatives that use that as their main form of communication.

At first, I was accepting everyone who asked as a "friend." Then I decided to limit it to people who are truly my friends (in my opinion, if I've been to your home or you've been to mine, you're my friend. If I haven't, then you're an acquaintance).

But then I was being overwhelmed with all these status updates and weeding through all this junk in order to find the few posts from the people I really wanted to hear from. I don't care how you're doing in "Mafia Wars" or if you need to feed your pigs in "Farmville" or that you can't decide between sitting next to Timmy or Bobby in 3rd Period French.

I even had my niece give me a tutorial on Facebook, but I still was overwhelmed.

Then it dawned on me, Facebook is kind of icky. Here I was "friends" with all these teenagers and men (married and single) and that's just wrong. Would I actually call this 13-year-old and tell her about my day? Would I honestly invite this man over to chat about what I saw on TV last night? No. That's creepy.

So I sent out a warning message and then unfriended everyone who wasn't a female friend of my age or a family member. Accuse me of bad Facebook etiquette, but I certainly wouldn't do these things in real life.

5 comments:

Camille said...

Keeping it real life. I love it. For reals. How do you unfriend people? I've been using facebook more these days, but not knowing what I'm doing and that makes me feel out of control.

Vorquel said...

As long as you didn't unfriend me...

SuziQ said...

I have to admit, I have friends on Facebook who are men who I went to school with. I don't really talk to them, they're just kind of there. My hubby has my password and can look at it all anytime he wants, though.

Lois said...

CAMILLE -- I'm so computer dumb, I had to google "How to unfriend people on Facebook" to find out how to do it.

VORQUEL -- you? Never.

SUZIQ -- good idea. I'm just tired of hearing about creepy people meeting others online. I'm going to stay as far away as I can from that.

Tiffany said...

I knew that I mostly fit the criteria but I had to check our friend relationship on facebook anyways. Glad I made the cut.