What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside

So this past summer we did an experiment to see if we could go the entire season without turning on our air conditioner.

Well, we did it.

We spent a lot of time in the swimming pool, but we never did turn on that air conditioner. Just doing our part to lessen our carbon footprint and to save on our electric bill.
So this winter my kids want to see if we can go the entire season without turning on our heat. I'm not quite sure if we can do this one, but we've managed so far.

Any bets on when we'll either freeze to death or give in and turn it on?

9 comments:

Shana said...

If the snow stays in the clouds (or wherever), I bet that you can do it!

SuziQ said...

Wow, if you can do it I will bow before you! We keep our temps quite reasonable, but I couldn't go without the heat entirely!

rena said...

a basement helps keeps you cool, but may work the reverse to keep you warm

good luck

Anonymous said...

we are still doing well w/o our heat as well (but we are on the third floor)

good luck my basement friend!

dalene said...

Well, since this year Provo seems to be the new San Diego, I'm guessing you'll make it at least till Christmas!

Lois said...

SHANA -- we'll see.

SUZI -- I doubt we'll do it. I've already wanted to turn the heat on, but my kids wouldn't let me.

RENA -- insulation, it's all about insulation!

SHILLIG -- yeah, you 3rd floor people are stealing all of us bottom-dwellers' heat!!!

DALENE -- ooh, can that be our new slogan? "The new San Diego"

SC_mommie said...

The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak, eh? :oP

Don't let the kids win... They run around half naked in the dead of winter anyway. What do they know about the unique needs of their parents' bodies???

I froze those 2 weeks we were in your place!

Lois said...

SC MOMMIE -- I know, you poor thing, freezing to death! Guess you're too used to those warm southern temperatures!

Geo said...

Go to D.I., get yourself some XL 100% wool sweaters, shrink 'em in the washer and dryer, and you'll be much better insulated against the chill. You can do it! (We keep our heat really really low. I'm adjusting.)