What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Friday, May 15, 2009

Charity Never Faileth

It seems like everyone these days is holding on to every penny they've got and charitable organizations are really hurting. Of course, there's more need out there for these charities, so they're being hit especially hard.

So I'm trying something new. I've added a "charity" category to my budget.

Now when I go to the store and the check-out lady asks me, "Would you like to donate $1 to help fund cancer/autism/diabetes/whatever research?" I gladly reply, "Why yes, I would!" That usually takes the woman by surprise (since I assume most people say no -- I know I always did). Come on, really, I'm buying three boxes of Twinkies as part of my groceries and I can't spare a buck to save someone's life? Just put back one of the boxes of Twinkies!

The other day I got an e-mail from a friend linking me to a Web page of another friend who is biking for cancer research and asking for donations. Oh, did I mention that this biker is fighting her SECOND bout with cancer? How awesome was it to be able to help out in such a small way.

I guess it all started with my friend who recently lost her baby. Even though this was incredibly hard for her and her family, she decided to put her energies into making scrapbooks for other families in similar circumstances; something to preserve those memories of such precious little lives, no matter how short. Of course, no one wants me to do any scrapbooking, but I could donate some money so the more talented people could buy supplies.

Now I'm not funding wings of hospitals or anything like that, but every little bit counts, right? If I keep my heart open, who knows where this can lead me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're awesome!

Geo said...

Very, very wonderful. I want to be like you.

Does it count that today I wrote on a dollar bill with a purple Sharpie marker: "This buck's for you!" with a thought bubble containing a heart coming from George Washington's head? I will attach it this weekend at either a postal box or a library drop box.

There's an "unofficial" rat hole of a halfway house in our 'hood, and every day there are sad men drifting through. There's one guy—oh, I have enough Tommy stories for a book by now—who asks me every time he sees me, ""Scuse me, ma'am, but do you happen to have a dollar or two so that I can get a soft drink?" And I see him a lot. Sometimes multiple times a day. He asked me this last week while I was riding my bike in traffic, approaching an intersection with a bench he happened to be sitting on. I don't know what to do about this guy. I think about him a lot. He's got some serious issues. And I almost never have money in my wallet, though I'm not sure about the whole support-my-trips-to-7-11-for-a-Big-Gulp thing.

I've got this sign I found on the sidewalk one Sunday that says: "JUST HUNGRY," and I keep it in my kitchen as a reminder of . . . well, all sorts of hunger.

Lois said...

JHJD -- well, I don't know about that.

GEO -- hm, sounds like my next post.

SC_mommie said...

Whenever I realize that I'm complaining too much about what's "wrong" in my/our lives & too critical of our kids- by then I'm driving my dearest nuts, no? It's humbling to realize how MUCH I have to be thankful for, how blessed we really are... I could've very well lost our baby when she was born preemie, but we didn't... I could've died, but I didn't... We have a roof over our head, more than enough to eat, enough clothing, transportation, and we both work PT... How BLESSED we are, even if it isn't exactly what we want for ourselves & our kids... How many others are, literally, w/o a roof?? Or enough of ANYthing- through NO fault of their own?? Thanks, Rach! Love & miss you so much... Your wit & wisdom amaze me!