What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Happy Anniversary!


Today is the 50th anniversary of the publishing of the book "To Kill a Mockingbird."

I first read this book in high school and absolutely fell in love with it. In fact, I started a "Boo Radley Fan Club" (our logo was a bloody pair of scissors) and even dressed up as Mayella Ewell for my 10th grade yearbook photo.

This was way before the band "The Boo Radleys" was around -- I must admit that once they came on the scene, it took the wind out of my sails (people would think I was a fan of the group, not the book).

Recently, I read the book again for my book club. It was just as great as I remembered it. For our book club discussion, we watched the movie. The movie is almost as good as the book. Who cannot love Gregory Peck as Atticus?

Anyway, happy anniversary!

1 comment:

Hurleys Happenings! said...

We were absolutely thrilled to find your anniversary celebartion for this amazing book! Our dog Scout is named from the story. We have thought that if we were ever to get another that we would name it Radley.