What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Friday, July 24, 2009

Bangs & Pops

My youngest child, Alice-Grace, has her own unique view on the world. Some recent examples:

We're watching a show about vampires and Alice-Grace proclaims, "Mom! I think I'm a vampire! Look, I have bangs!"

Yes, she mistook "fangs" for "bangs."

Last month we went on a family vacation. Before boarding the plane, I gave all my children some gum to chew to help their ears pop.

During the flight, I was sitting next to Alice-Grace. She kept reaching up and feeling her ears and commenting on how she wished she had a mirror. Then she would look up at my ears and touch them. Finally, she said, "Yeah, I think they're about to pop, they feel really big and squishy."

She thought I meant that the outside of her ears would expand so much that they would eventually "pop" like a balloon.

Now keep in mind that for both of these instances, she was very EXCITED about either being a vampire or having various body parts explode.

She's an odd duck. Oh, to be six again.

3 comments:

Geo said...

This explains a lot about the connection between my recent insomnia and the obsessive thoughts about cutting my bangs. Maybe I'm turning into a vampire.

Lois said...

GEO -- hm, could be! Have you been able to see your reflection in a mirror lately?

SC_mommie said...

I never managed to write down our son's funny sayings (even recent ones!)... I really NEED to write down our daughters!!! She is SO VERY funny... and sincere! When it gets chilly, I like to wear hubby's long-sleeved, XL tees. Today, he was wearing one I had worn only last week & our daughter recognized it & asked her daddy why he was wearing MOMMY'S shirt... When he pointed out that Mommy had been wearing DADDY's shirt, she said "I know that..." and laughed... Lately, she's been "stealing" our noses & trying them on her stuffed toys. She decides very quickly that they don't suit the toys very well & returns them to us... slightly smooshed... she LOVES to finger-paint w/her food when full... and spatter-paints w/the milk in the bottom of her sippy... a girl after Nigel's heart, I think... :oP