What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Gassy!

The other day, we smelled gas in our home* (natural gas -- this is not a comment on my lack of cooking skills). I called the gas company and they told us to leave immediately and wait for the gas guy to come and check it out. I told everyone to grab what they needed and to go outside. It was quite eye-opening to see what my family considered "essential."

Me (Lois) -- purse and car keys (give me a credit card and I'm fine; in fact, I was secretly hoping that the place would blow up so that I didn't have to clean it anymore).

Nigel -- photocopies of all of his artwork and some sketch books (gee, is anyone surprised at that one?).

Frances -- our pet rabbit, her favorite teddy bear, her favorite bandana, a poster of Zac Efron (I kid you not) and a "ecstacy/rave" binky (she says because it has a whistle and light). She later lamented that she forgot to bring a book (luckily I always keep one in the car -- never know when "Cujo" is going to trap you in there for days).

Jeffrey -- his favorite (and largest) Lego set, his 1st Grade math trophy and a can of red spray-paint (what?).

Alice-Grace -- a tiara, a pearl necklace and her favorite stuffed animals (keep in mind that she forgot shoes).

I'm sure that I forgot some of the items, but you get the gist of it.

Of course, our 72-hour emergency kits were in a state of disarray (I started reorganizing them months ago and never put them back together again), so we couldn't bring those.

*Luckily, it was no big deal -- just some problems with our water heater that were easily solved.

8 comments:

Camille said...

I love your family!

Nigel said...

You could write a separate post on the kids' planning on the front lawn. There was serious discussion about survival in the days following the big explosion/fire. But they also seemed confident that things would be alright.

Janet said...

Oh my! I laughed so hard I hurt my abs!!! You guys are so funny.

Lois said...

CAMILLE -- I love them, too.

NIGEL -- I missed out on all the planning. They do like a good disaster, though.

JANET -- our youngest was the funniest, a tiara? Really?

Vorquel said...

spray-paint defiantly beats tiara. i was laughing so hard i misspelled every word in my post the first time through: spaypaint defitratrly beasts tiara. well, I spelled tiara right.

Geo said...

Next time the prickly pet poocumber will be on the list.

Lois said...

VORQUEL -- yeah, what's with the spray paint?

GEO -- that poo-cumber freaks me out every time I see it (it has a place of honor in our living room right now).

SC_mommie said...

love it... :oP