What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

What are your guilty pleasures? Not really things that make you feel guilty, but rather things you enjoy that are slightly embarrassing and you find yourself hiding or making sheepish excuses for if someone walks into the room and catches you. Here are some of mine:

Guilty Listening Pleasure -- Tom Jones.
I admit it. I LOVE Tom Jones. How can you not love a Welshman who meows in his songs? Throw those panties, ladies!

Guilty Cinema Pleasure -- Cheesy Mormon movies.
I have to sneak these into the house to avoid Nigel's inevitable eye-rolling and sighing. "The Singles Ward," "The Home Teachers," "Church Ball," etc. I know they're stupid, but I like watching them.

Guilty Eating Pleasure -- Ding Dongs.
They're especially good frozen. The ritual is actually more important than the eating. First, smooth out the foil into one large square (careful, don't rip it!). Then pick all the chocolate frosting off. Then eat all the chocolate cake (this is actually the worst part). Last of all, savor the Crisco-y goodness of the creamy filling. Mmmm.

Guilty Active Pleasure -- Roller Disco.
Not roller blades, not roller derby, but roller skates with the big orange wheels and neon green laces. You know, the kind that you wear with leg warmers. Crank up that Donna Summer and just boogie, oogie, oogie until you just can't boogie no more!*

Guilty TV Pleasure -- "iCarly."
I must admit that I usually watch this with my kids, but there have been a few times when Nigel has caught me watching this alone. His usual question is, "Why are you watching this? The kids are outside playing." I just mumble something about it being on and I can't find the remote. He then will notice the TV remote in my hand and proceed with more eye-rolling. I'm sorry, but the writing is really clever and I have a tiny bit of a crush on Spencer.**

Guilty Reading Pleasure -- Gossip magazines.
I actually look forward to going to the doctor/dentist so I can sit and read People, Us Weekly, Life & Style, etc. Most of the time I have no idea as to who they're talking about, but it's still fun. I'm always early for appointments just so I can have more time to read.

There. Embarrassing, yes. Fun, oh yes! What are your guilty pleasures?


*Yes, I know "Boogie Oogie Oogie" is by A Taste of Honey, not Donna Summer.
**Spencer is the adult on the show -- I do NOT have a crush on a little kid.

10 comments:

Shana said...

I love this! And gossip magazines/websites/whatever are a guilty pleasure for me, too.

Heidi said...

Did you really say, "Throw in those panties, ladies?"

Guilty Pleasure #1 Chocolate chip cookies for every meal.

Guilty Pleasure #2 So You Think You Can Dance

Guilty Pleasure #3 Teeny bopper movies

Camille said...

It's always been pretty embarrassing to me that I LOVE the fakest most orange nacho cheese.

I often eat hot milk sponge cake or ice cream for breakfast. The cake has always seemed like a "coffee cake" to me which means it's for early morning consumption, right?

I've never seen any of the high school musical movies but I really want to and I think I will really like them.

Camille said...

And one more thing... I was just thinking TODAY that for my 30th birthday party I'd like to have it at a roller rink so you're officially on the guest list, but I've still got two and a half more years until the party. You can never start planning a good party too early.

Lois said...

SHANA -- glad I'm not the only one.

HEIDIABE -- yes! You have to throw panties on stage when Tom Jones is performing!

CAMILLE -- I've seen all three HSM movies. Very guilty pleasures. Wow, you really plan those parties early!

Janet said...

This is so funny that I HAVE to join in! I haven't even admitted this to my husband, but my biggest secret guilty pleasure is the Maury Povich show where they do those paternity tests. Entertainment with a capital E!!

Anonymous said...

Lois -- your Ding Dong explanation made me laugh. Although "Henry" doesn't make it quite so dramatic, in the ever-so-few-times Henry has seen a Ding Dong, he put it in the freezer to make it cold. Is that a nature or nuture 'thing!!!'

Lois said...

JANET -- those paternity test shows suck me in, too! Glad I'm not alone.

JHJD -- you have to freeze them or else the chocolate-y coating melts all over your hands while you're picking it off! Also, it makes the creme filling stick together in one blob.

SC_mommie said...

I just made a half batch of deep, dark chocolate butter-cream frosting to "test" how it'll turn out before using it on some marbled cuppy-cakes I plan on making for the kids... someday. Hubby & I have been eating it by the serving spoonfuls... If I ever bake cookies, I wind up eating WAY too much raw cookie dough... way, way too much. It never seems to fail- our son always seems to "catch" me w/something I've JUST told him HE couldn't have, when he asked...

SC_mommie said...

Did Nigel ever tell you that Dad used to lick his plate in public?? Sometimes, I like my cooking so well that I lick my plate at our dinner table... when I drop the plate, hubby & the kids are staring at me...