What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Grocery Shopping Class

So I went to the grocery shopping class on Thursday night and got some really good information.

For the most part, it's the same program I was doing before (combining store sales and manufacturer's coupons), but with some new insight.

Before, it was taking me hours to cut out all the coupons, study all the supermarket ads, and run from store to store to get the best deals. Needless to say, I got tired of that really quickly.

The way this program is different is that you buy in bulk (their theory is that everything goes on sale four times a year, so stock up four months worth of non-perishable items at a time). The way to do this is to get multiple Sunday newspapers (for multiple coupons).

The nice part is that they've done all the labor for you. Just go to their Web site*, click on the supermarket you want to go to (just visit one) and they have a list of what's on sale that week and which coupons to match up with. They even rate the sales so you know if you're getting a good deal or not. You click on the items you want, it shrinks the list down, you print it out and there's your shopping list. Then cut out your coupons (why do it before hand?) and you're ready to go.

I decided to try it out the next day. I went on their site and what used to take me hours only took 15 minutes! I had coupons from two Sunday papers and set out to the supermarket (just one!).

Total (47 items): $123.25 (gasp!)
After Supermarket Savings: $75.93
After coupons: $51.63 (including tax)

I went from $123.25 to $51.63 (total savings of 59 percent)

(Let's just say that I won't have to buy Kleenex tissues for a VERY long time)

*Please note that this service is only available in Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Washington right now

3 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

holy hannah barbara!

I went to the class but I might have to have you come over and teach me!

Heidi said...

That is inspiring! But I have to admit, I'm just too lazy to do it. And where do you store stuff in your condo?

Lois said...

SHILLIGS -- you do so well on your own, you didn't need the class. You're amazing.

HEIDI -- believe me, I will find a spot to put it. Let's just say that there's no linens in my linen closet, we can't use the fireplace because the space behind it is full of wheat, and there's cans of food under all my kids' beds. My motto is "There's always room for food storage if you don't mind your home being ugly."