What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Quest Continues...

I'm still on my never-ending quest to not spend money. I'm usually pretty good at this (mostly because I loathe buying clothes), but my downfall is food (specifically grocery shopping and eating out). I've taken a few measures, but so far I'm getting mixed results. Such as...

I'm now having milk delivered to my house to keep me out of stores (I'm notorious for going in for just a gallon of milk and coming out with 20 pairs of socks, three books, and a porch swing -- hence, why I am no longer allowed in Costco).

I must admit that me and the kids did go to Burger King last night, but that's only because we found three coupons for free fries and three coupons for free burgers while cleaning up the house. Free dinner for the kids -- yay! But then I bought dinner for myself -- boo! (Nigel was gone, so he had to scrounge whatever he could find for dinner at home -- here, lick this postage stamp and see what's between the couch cushions!)

Tonight I'm going to a special class on grocery shopping. I'm curious as to what their system is. I've tried coupons and all of that before, but I ended up buying a bunch of stuff I normally wouldn't have and spending a lot of time running from store to store. Hopefully I'll get some good tips!

What are your favorite ways to save (or not spend) money?

4 comments:

Geo said...

Leave my wallet at home when I go out. Or only take enough money for the thing I need.

(Like I really do those.)

Heidi said...

Good Luck! I'm sure you will fill us in if you learn some amazing secret!

Janet said...

Let us know how the class was. I'm DYING to hear and so sad that I couldn't be there!!!!

Lois said...

GEO -- I used to purposely not get a shopping cart so I could only buy what I could carry.

HEIDI -- keep reading!

JANET -- thanks for getting the ball rolling. It was a great class.