What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Blender Fun

Today we really gave our new blender a workout. For an after school snack, Frances made:

Green Smoothie
oranges
strawberries
bananas
apples
fresh spinach leaves
ice cubes

It was so good she had to make two batches. I feel so healthy!

Then for dessert after dinner I made:

Brownie Bites
whole wheat flour (I ground the wheat myself in the blender)
regular flour
cocoa powder
eggs
sugar (only 1/2 cup -- my normal brownie recipe calls for four times as much!)
a can of black beans (instead of butter)
vanilla

Though you couldn't taste the beans, you could taste the whole wheat flour and lack of sugar. They were pretty good, though -- especially when you topped them with...

Vanilla Ice Cream
half and half (only one cup to make five cups of ice cream)
sugar
powdered milk (I love recipes where I can finally use up my powdered milk)
vanilla
ice cubes (four cups!)

This was surprisingly good -- especially since it was mostly ice and very little cream. It did melt quickly, though. We're looking forward to making some delicious sorbets with this new blender.

No comments: