What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Fettuccine and Green Beans with Peanut Sauce

I love anything with a spicy peanut sauce, so I decided to try this recipe that is from "One-Dish Vegetarian Meals" by Robin Robertson.

Fettuccine and Green Beans with Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup peanut butter
1 garlic clove, minced
3 Tbsp tamari
2 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp hot chili paste, or to taste
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
12 oz fettuccine
12 oz green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro or Thai basil
2 Tbsp chopped roasted peanuts

In a food processor or blender, combine the peanut butter, garlic, tamari, brown sugar, lime juice, chili paste, and 1/2 cup of the stock. Blend until smooth. Transfer the peanut sauce to a saucepan and stir in as much of the remaining stock as needed to give it a smooth, sauce like consistency. Heat the sauce over low heat, stirring until it is hot, then keep it warm over very low heat.

Cook the fettuccine in a large pot of salted boiling water, stirring occasionally. When the pasta has cooked for about 3 minutes, add the green beans to the cooking pasta. .When the pasta is al dente, drain the pasta and green beans, and place in a large bowl. Add the peanut sauce and toss to combine. Transfer to individual plates and garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve immediately.

My notes: I used regular soy sauce instead of tamari. I made the mistake of adding ALL the vegetable stock and my sauce was very runny. I thought the sauce was a little bland, so I added more chili paste and more soy sauce. I should've added more garlic, too. I used frozen green beans and they cooked up perfectly in the fettuccine water. I also very thinly sliced some carrots and added them to the water along with the green beans. They also cooked up quite nicely. This tasted really good, but the sauce was way too watery. I was lazy and didn't garnish with the cilantro and chopped peanuts.

No comments: