What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, April 22, 2013

Pasta Puttanesca

Yesterday we ate breakfast casserole (eggs and ham and cheese -- oh my!) and then we had pigs in blankets and chicken cream cheese crescent rolls for dinner (it was my nephew's farewell dinner and that's what he requested). So now we're back on the vegan bandwagon. Here's another recipe from "One-Dish Vegetarian Meals" by Robin Robertson.

Pasta Puttanesca

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
2 Tbsp tomato paste
One 28-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup pitted black gaeta olives, halved
2 Tbsp capers, drained
1 tsp dried basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound spaghetti
2 Tbsp minced fresh Italian parsley

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes, olives, capers, and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until it is al dente. Drain and place it in a large serving bowl. Add the sauce and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with the minced parsley and serve immediately.

My Notes: This recipe is quick and easy. I did think that it didn't make enough sauce for the amount of spaghetti. It was good, but not great. My only complaint is that I would find these hard bits in the sauce. I don't know what they were. Maybe they were from the capers? Do capers have little pits in them? Also, I did not "serve immediately." We had a school thing and didn't eat until after that was over. Isn't spaghetti supposed to taste better if it sits for a little while? What kind of an instruction is "serve immediately." This isn't baked Alaska -- it's spaghetti!

No comments: