What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Moroccan Chickpeas wtih Couscous

My kids LOVE couscous, so I was hoping they would like this recipe. Again, it's from "One-Dish Vegetarian Meals" by Robin Robertson.

Moroccan Chickpeas with Couscous

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium-size onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chile, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp allspice
One 28-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups apple juice
3 cups cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained if canned
One 12-oz package frozen vegetarian burger crumbles
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
Salt to taste
4 to 5 cups cooked couscous
2 Tbsp minced scallions, for garnish

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the marjoram and allspice. Stir in the tomatoes and apple juice. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chickpeas, vegetarian burger crumbles, peas, and salt, and simmer 10 minutes longer, or until the desired consistency is reached. Server over couscous, and garnish with the minced scallions.

My notes: I'm scared of cutting up jalapeno chiles, so instead I used some bottled hot sauce. I didn't have any scallions, so no garnish. This was easy to make and very yummy. It's quite fragrant and flavorful. As always, my kids refused to go near it (Jeffrey did eat some couscous with cheese, though). The recipe says that it serves four, but I don't know four of what -- elephants? This makes a TON of food! I'll definitely half the recipe if I make it again.

No comments: