What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fuelish Endeavor

Yay! I did it. For the first time in a long time, I kept within my gasoline budget for the month. In fact, I only filled the gas tank once in June and had $2.18 cents left over and a quarter of a tank to spare.

This is no easy feat considering that gas is over $4 a gallon and our only car is a 20-year-old minivan that gets 16 miles per gallon.

I tried to walk whenever I could, consolidate my trips, and no idling (sorry kids, no drive-up dinners for you!). If I was really good, I'd be like UPS and only make right turns (but then I'd end up in a lot of dead end streets).

I've noticed that I'm not the only person trying to save gas. I see a lot more people walking, riding bikes, riding scooters, driving golf carts -- I even saw two guys going down the street on Segways!

Oh, did I mention that I still haven't turned on our air conditioning this summer? I'm trying to see if I can last the whole summer (just ignore the sweating husband and kids panting in the corner).

12 comments:

b. said...

Whoa....
You were my hero right up until the no air conditioning yet....ya lost me there.

I'm pretty amazed by your gas saving skills.....impressive! But turn on the dang air!

Nigel said...

Our 25 year-old A.C. system is neither energy efficient nor does it cool very effectively. Even I (the fat sweaty guy) have to admit it just ain't worth the $$$.

Anonymous said...

I try to go w/o AC during the day due to my husband's need to have it very chilly at night... kinda balance it out... and good job on the fuel budget! wow!!!

Putz said...

I HATE THE AIR CONDITIONer... READ MY BLOG ON IT, YOU CAN'T MISS IT IT... HIT'S YOU SQUARE IN THE FACE As you enter my blog second down, and b i am ashamed of you, lois i as always am impressed by you,,,....have you read{ and b ]ON how we are supposed to blog, and how we are supposed to blog and correct the mistakes we mormons make about church information, but still be out thhere full blown for all to see...IN THE NEW ENSIGN

The MacMizzles said...

The title is the best.

Rynell said...

Tee hee...I love the title.

I am impressed with you sticking to your gas budget. I'm just staying home more, albeit with the A/C on. So you've still got me beat.

Geo said...

One of our friends just quit his job up north in The Big City because so many people now ride the commuter bus he can no longer get a seat during the hours he needs to ride. His only other choice was to leave before dawn and come home late enough to never enjoy any real family time. Come on, light rail!

Bek said...

We haven't done the AC either (wait, we don't have one..) We live in the Bay Area and there are only about 10 days a year when you REALLY wish you had it. Otherwise, you just down Otter pops as fast as you can....

As for the gas budgent, that is wonderful. I have already blown mine for the month and it is day 4... sigh.

Jillybean said...

We just don't go anywhere anymore. The gas lasts much longer that way.
We just stay home and enjoy the AC.

SuziQ said...

Way to go! I moved closer to work, that cut my fuel costs in half. LOL

JandB said...

Nice job. Saving gas is always awesome! Hey, we have a new blog. Just go to the site this name takes you to.

Lois said...

B -- yeah, probably the ONLY advantage to basement living is the constant coolness.

NIGEL -- I thought it did a good job, but then again, you're even boiling hot during a snow storm!

SHILLIG4FAM -- very impressive, especially since you're on the third floor! Way to go!

PUTZ -- but I thought air conditioning was right up there with sliced bread!

McMILLANS -- must admit that Nigel came up with the title.

RYNELL -- at least you're doing your part by staying home. You're awesome.

GEO -- yes, when are they going to build that light rail???

BEK -- ooh, Otter Pops. They're banned at my home because I'm sick of picking up those sticky plastic sleeves.

JILL -- smart idea.

SUZIQ -- that is an excellent idea. Of course, if your luck is anything like mine, two weeks after you move the business will decide to relocate!

JANDB -- love the new blog!