What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, January 21, 2010

It's All Greek to Me

Yesterday Nigel and I went out to lunch at a new Greek restaurant in town. I had heard that it was run by actual Greek people, so I was pretty excited. (The other night we went out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant and there wasn't a SINGLE Chinese person in the place. Not one! No Chinese people eating, working or cooking. With over 1.3 billion Chinese people in the world, I don't even see how that's statistically possible)

Sure enough, the men working there were very Greek, there were Greek flags everywhere (though they neglected to take the Bavarian cuckoo clock from off the wall from the prior restaurant's decor), and the food was delicious.

The best part? This was listed on the menu:

SIDE OF HOMOS & PITA 4.25

I could just see myself saying, "Why yes, I would like a side of homos with my pita." This is probably the first time in my life I wish I had one those camera phones.

You've got to understand, I love things like that. Maybe it's because of the girl in my high school from Taiwan who had her "Charlie Brown & Spoopy" book bag. Or maybe my Japanese roommate in college and her "Happy New York" sweater. Or my neighbor from Brazil and her son's "Winnie The Puff" teddy bear. Or my husband's tres leches birthday cake from the Mexican market down the street that said "Hoppy Birthdoy."

I think it brings me such joy because I am SOOOOO terrible at other languages. I'm in awe of anyone that can come to a different country and learn another language. I have taken years of French, German, Japanese and Chinese and I can't say a word in any of these languages. I come from a long line of people who can't speak another language. Case in point: many years ago my parents went to Germany to visit my brother in the military. They even took German language classes in preparation for their trip. Once there, they were at a shop counting out their money and my father went from counting in German to Spanish to English to APACHE! Yes, Dad, when you can't remember your German, go for Apache! That's the universal language ALL Europeans understand!

I just hope that the Greek restaurant doesn't change their menu. I think it's perfect just the way it is and will certainly bring me back for more (food and smiles).

12 comments:

Shana said...

I love trying new restaurants -- what's it called? (You can e-mail me if you don't want to publish the name).

Lois said...

SHANA -- I'll e-mail you the address.

lisa moore said...

Is this the place over by Shopko/Movies 8? I love Greek food!

Curtis said...

If it's the restaurant I'm thinking of, we've been wanting to try it, too, especially when we saw the big fire through the window (a grill thing).

You reminded me of some size 6XL blue y-front underwear I bought in China just because the package said, "Best pants for fatty—fatty man around us." It also said something about the underwear being "good for health."

I'm sure people have told you this, but you should write a book.

Nigel said...

The basmati rice was hypnotically yellow.

Lois said...

LISA -- yes. I had the combo plate and it was really good.

CURTIS -- I want some of those huge Chinese underwear! I used to have a can of "Picari Sweat" (a Japanese sports drink).

NIGEL -- I must eat the rice, I must eat the rice, I must...

Heidi said...

I have some great pictures to show you from my trips around the world. Why is it so funny when someone else is making the mistake?

Lois said...

HEIDI -- it's only funny because I know that I make TONS more mistakes. When I lived in the Japanese House in college, I thought I was yelling "Kill the spider! Kill the spider!" And instead I was screaming "Kill the bridegroom! Kill the bridegroom!"

Geo said...

We went there on a cold night and sat right next to the fire pit. We couldn't afford the lamb, but I sure got my lungs full of it.

Dang, should have order the homos.

Lois said...

GEO -- you like lamb? Yuck. I thought the chicken was excellent, though (but I'm sure not as good as the homos).

Leslie Jam said...

You crack me up Lois! Love all of it!

Lois said...

LESLIE -- of course, not as funny as your comments in Sunday School (I make my husband give me a full report).