What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Coupon Woes -- Revisited

Have you ever had the experience of just being sick of your hair? It never looks good, it's a source of never-ending frustration and you've just had enough. You make an appointment with the hairdresser to cut it all off.

Of course, the day of your appointment, you hair looks BEAUTIFUL! It's never had such body, such shine, it's gorgeous! What do you do? Cancel the appointment? Still get it cut off?

I'm having the same experience with this whole coupon thing. Yesterday I printed off my shopping list and brought out all my coupon inserts. After one and a half hours (literally), I had all my coupons cut out and sorted. I complained to Nigel the whole time, "This is it. I'm cancelling my newspaper subscriptions. This is too much work."

Then I go to the store and as always it takes FOREVER to shop and the pizza coupons don't match up with the pizza that's on sale and some other coupon-hording women have bought up all the yogurt (like I need more yogurt).

I was dreading going to the check-out stand because my cart was beyond over-flowing. "Oh great, this is going to cost a ton," I thought to myself.

Total = $162.77

But then I had the store sales and special offers (they were doing "buy 10 of these various items, get $5.00 off your bill" -- I had bought 40 of those items).

New Total = $85.04

Then I gave the cashier my HUGE stack of coupons.

Final Total = $59.74

So from $162.77 to $59.74!!! I bought 48 products and paid just a little over $1.00 for each one (which is quite a feat considering that I bought three things of Tide liquid detergent).

Hm, maybe I'll give the coupons another chance.

5 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

that was me 2 weeks ago w/shampoo
I moaned and complained to go out in the freezing cold after everyone was in bed (I don't shop w/kids) and I was glad I did...tons of good stuff and I saved $70...worth it

SC_mommie said...

I do service calls at Dollar Generals & I cleaned up w/their 90% after-Christmas sales... I spent about $15 & got all sorts of candy (to satisfy hubby's sweet tooth) & decorations (for the tree that's been bare the past two, which is an improvement because the previous two we didn't even have one), & Christmas cards & music CD's... I was so excited, but that doesn't top my BEST deal ever! I was doing a service call at a Lowe's & discovered they had 18 gal. storage bins (Rubbermaid) on sale for $1.99 each (they retail for $6 - $8) & I bought 5 (I'd literally been praying for a sale because we needed some)... That one nearly brought tears to my eyes- stupid, I know... But, I'm NOT a shopper- I hate it- & I'm just not a thing person- less is more (unless it's home school materials or kitchen tools/gadgets- but I get my goodies through FreeCycle)... So, this is a BIG deal for me... :oP

Geo said...

I think these stories qualify as Shopping with Jesus moments.

Vorquel said...

Thursdays are always good days.

Lois said...

SC MOMMIE -- Of course, your best score was finding all those text books in the trash! You were famous for that one (stupid school).

GEO -- WWJB (what would Jesus buy).

VORQUEL -- too bad I've changed my shopping day to Wednesday.