What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, February 15, 2010

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Meow-a?* #1

When people see me knitting, they ask me what I'm making. They're always surprised when I answer, "Cats."

Then I have to explain the whole crazy cat lady-Chinese New Year-year of the tiger-making 52 cats-no I don't know what I'm going to do with them-idea.

The good thing is, people tell me some great ideas on what I can do with them.

Suggestion #1 -- Mother Bear Project.
This is a great organization for giving teddy bears to children with HIV/AIDS in emerging nations, but it's bears, not cats, I have to pay for their specific pattern, and then I have to pay them to donate them. Not quite what I'm looking for at this time. Plus, I'd like to do something more local.

Still waiting for my epiphany to happen. In the meantime, I'll keep knitting my cats.

* Bad pun on "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria" from "The Sound of Music."

3 comments:

Geo said...

I have that Mother Bear Project pattern if you ever want to use it.

How about a pet store on Etsy? a knitted kitty auction? Ding-Dong-Dash?

Or, when you're finished knitting them all and having your crazy cat lady moment, you could do something like put your kitties into baggies with some info included and leave them in random places for people to find and adopt (or continue to pass along). Then you could set up a blog where the kitty finders could leave comments about where they ended up, tell their stories, etc.

SC_mommie said...

That sounds cool! Traveling cats... Hey, you could snail-mail them to out-of-state friends/family & allow us to randomly place them for you, too... Anywhere but a Wal-Mart, though... :oP You've got 51 weeks to figure out how it's going to work... :o) Geo- I've always thought you were to clever & cool!! I bet one of yer crazy kits would LOVE a vacation to sunny SC- maybe up a lighthouse, other notable spots... this could be educational!! Hey... Maybe Francis could assist- she's super-bright, too!! Opps... diaper bag's been invaded, gotta go...

Lois said...

GEO -- of course you would have the pattern.

I don't want to sell them because I would never recoup my money ($5.00 in materials plus about 8 hours of work -- no one's going to buy a $50 cat).

I thought about that, but I'd like it to be more personal.

SC MOMMIE -- yeah, we'll see what I decide on when the year is up.