What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, February 1, 2010

Is That What They're Calling It These Days?

A few months ago I was early picking my kids up from school and I noticed a man in the parking lot adjacent to my kids' school. He was standing alone, looking at the school playground with a pair of binoculars. Not just looking, but studying.

What the heck is this? Not one to let creepy guys get away with spying on children, I went up to him and asked what he was doing.

He replied, "I'm looking at this tree."

The tree that's 10 feet in front of him -- with binoculars? I pushed him further to explain himself.

He replied, "I'm looking for my iguana."

Oh, is that what they're calling it these days?

He then sheepishly explained that he had lost his pet lizard and someone had reported seeing it in one of the trees by the school. The problem is, the lizard is green and the trees are green, hence the binoculars.

Sure enough, as I looked around, there were "Lost Iguana" posters plastered all over the neighborhood. That's not all, they were also advertising a $100 reward! Soon, I was studying all the trees to find that iguana (she was named "Queenie," by the way).

It wasn't long before other parents were asking me what I was doing.

"Oh, I'm just looking for an iguana."

8 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I'm really impressed you probed him for questions! I feel safe being your neighbor!

Geo said...

Go get 'em, tiger!

We should team up sometime and take a bite outta crime. I once chased a peeping tom on foot years ago, after I caught him messing with his iguana while looking in my neighbors' window. I meant to catch him and kick the slat out of him (or something), but he got away. And the local keystone cops were no help that night. Grrrr!

I feel safer just knowing you're out there.

Anonymous said...

Go Lois...........

Vorquel said...

Cleverness: saving the world from justice since 2010.

Lois said...

SHILLIG -- yes, I don't mess around.

GEO -- now YOU are aggressive.

JHJD & VORQUEL -- I'm still mad that I didn't find the iguana and collect that reward money.

Hilda said...

I love your sense of humor. By the way...I've started looking for the iguana now.

Leslie Jam said...

Lois I saw a woman walking an iguana down the street last summer in Spanish Fork. All I could thik of was the Dr.Suess book, 'and to think that I saw it on mulberry street'.

Way to take a bit out of crime!

Lois said...

HILDA -- I'm hoping they've found the iguana by now (or else it's now a lizard-popsicle).

LESLIE -- oh my goodness! That is so awesome! I hope you got a photo.