What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, February 27, 2010

I Quit

I've had it. I quit. I have this love-hate relationship with this whole coupon system and it's definitely tilting towards the HATE side. Detest, dislike, despise, loathe, have ill will towards.

For the last two weeks, there have been NO good deals. Nada, zilch, nil, el-zippo, the big goose egg.

I am totally stocked with toothpaste (did you realize that toothpaste expires? I'd better start brushing my teeth 16 times a day to get through it all) and if I eat one more thing of yogurt I'm going to PUKE. Heave, hurl, drive the porcelain bus, talk to Ralph on the big white telephone, holler New York.

Here's what really drives me crazy about the system. The lady who was teaching the class went on and on about how great the deals are at this one supermarket and how she loves it because on the receipt it shows her exactly how much she saved.

I went to that same supermarket and I ended up getting the wrong brand of juice, which wasn't on sale and didn't match my coupon. Ugh! I then took that same coupon to my preferred grocery store (where everyone is nice and cheerful, but not the coupon lady's favorite store) and bought the juice with my coupon, even though it wasn't on sale.

Here's the thing. The juice that was on "sale" at the first store was actually MORE expensive than the juice that was NOT on sale at my preferred store!

Store #1
Juice regular price: $3.50
Juice on sale: $3.00
Coupon: $1.00 off
Total price: $2.00 (save $1.50)

Store #2
Juice regular price: $2.50
Coupon: $1.00 off
Total price: $1.50 (save $1.00)

So I SAVED more at store #1, but PAID less at store #2. So what's more important, bragging about how much you've saved, or actually paying less money?

Hey coupon lady, watch me save even more money by stopping my newspaper subscriptions (and not buying any more yogurt).

8 comments:

lisa moore said...

Yay for you! I didn't even start the program or get the mega newspaper subscriptions. :) I'm sure it is a great program for those that are totally committed to it, but I just felt as though with everything going on in my life I didn't have the time or the energy to put into it. I'm all for a good deal, but I guess just too lazy to hunt it down and kill it.

Curtis said...

When I read the title of your post, I thought, "Oh no. Don't stop making the cats. I want to see a picture of all 52 together." I was relieved as I read the first line. Also, thank you for teaching me "holler New York." I've never heard that one.

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

this was funny
and made me feel better that I haven't received my papers for 2 weeks but keep forgetting to call!
not cool daily herald (that is their name right?) not cool

Lois said...

LISA -- you're smart.

CURTIS -- I enjoy a good thesaurus. That was one of my favorites for "barf."

SHILLIG -- I think I'm calling them today to stop my subscription (though my kids will miss the Sunday comics).

Vorquel said...

The joys of realizing "savings" marketing term, not an accounting term.

Geo said...

Oh, you guys can draw your own comics and they'll probably be funnier anyhow.

I thought all the same things as Curtis. I hope next time I get the stomach flu I can remember to holler New York, proper-like. That's hilarious.

GOOD FOR YOU for liberating yourself form coupon bondage! With your newly simplified life you will now have more time to knit cats.

Camille said...

I was totally worried that I wouldn't be able to see 52 cats! I'm glad you have your priorities straight and are quitting the right thing. I wonder if your preferred store is my preferred store. People are definitely nice there.

Lois said...

VORQUEL -- oh, such wise words.

GEO -- my boy does draw some good comics, I must admit. Yes, more time for knitting cats!!!

CAMILLE -- I'm sure it is. I think it's EVERYONE's preferred store (which is why I refuse to go there in the evenings and on Saturdays).