What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, February 18, 2010

I PASSED!

That's right, call me Technician Class Operator Lois.

I passed my Ham Radio test. Not only did I pass, but I got 100% (thank you very much).

At first I was nervous because there was about 30 people there to take the test and it was obvious that they had all taken classes and they all had the same textbook with them. I felt like I was in that dream where you you have a Spanish test and you didn't even know you were enrolled in a Spanish class. I was thinking, "Gee, I kind of skimmed through 'Ham Radio for Dummies' and I did some stuff on the Internet. I hope that's good enough."

I guess it was.

The test itself only took about 30 minutes (and 20 of those minutes was filling out paperwork), but I was waiting in line for over an hour just to take the test because I had to wait for the people in front of me to finish.

What I didn't realize is that if you pass the Technician test, they let you have a free stab at the General Class test. Let's just say that I bombed that one royally (that's probably where the class and book could've helped).

Anyway, it's official, I'm a geek.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Way to go! Thanks for the info on ham radio.

lisa moore said...

Awesome! Brent just got his license too. He has a pretty cool radio. He was listening to the Space Station the other night. Congrats.

Vorquel said...

I would be careful who I shared this information with if I were you. Some really strange people have ham radio licenses, like my dad, and your dad.

Nigel said...

Guys go nuts for the gorgeous, geeky types.

Anonymous said...

CQ CQ CQ...you're awesome!

SC_mommie said...

My hubby thinks you're awesome... :o)

Geo said...

A pedigreed geek!

Now what?

Lois said...

HEIDI -- thank you.

LISA -- oh, I really want to listen to the Space Station! I've got to get me a radio.

VORQUEL -- very scary.

NIGEL -- "I go nuts for Ham Radio butts"?

JHJD -- now I know what "CQ" means!

SC MOMMIE -- tell him that I think that he's awesome, too.

GEO -- oh my goodness, it's just like having my AKC papers! Now I'm studying for my General Class license exam. It's a lot harder.