What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Toe Tag

I've been tagged again! I've flaked out on the last few tags, but this one is about me and Nigel, so here goes:

How long did you date?

We first met at a Halloween Party (he was Hobbes of "Calvin & Hobbes" and I was a Dr. Seuss Star Belly Sneech -- a match made in heaven?). We were friends for quite a few months (where I briefly dated "Calvin" and Nigel kept setting me up on dates with the gay guy in the neighborhood -- "But you have so much in common!" He would always say -- yeah, we both like MEN!). We started dating in the spring. We wrote letters and called each other that summer (he was in Switzerland selling fireworks and I was in California digging dead dogs out of a freezer) and then dated again in the fall. We were married in winter (it was 10 below). So, I guess we dated for a little over a year before we got married.

Who eats more?

Oh, definitely Nigel, but I never see him eat. He's a stealth eater. I just know that the fridge is full of food before I go to bed and the next day it's just empty plates and bowls in there (come to think of it, I'm hoping it's Nigel -- is the food eating itself? Can vegetables be cannibals?).

Who is taller?

Nigel says that he's two inches taller than me, but I think we're the same height. My kids think that I'm taller. I guess it matters if he fluffs up his hair or not (he has a lot of hair).

Who is smarter?

Nigel is, but I think I'm smarter and I'm a whole lot louder (as we all know, the more volume, the more intelligence). I've since learned to follow his lead in trivia games because he's almost always right.

Whose temper is worse?

No question, Nigel's. I like to refer to myself as a happy pessimist and Nigel is a miserable optimist. He's convinced that everything's going to go right, so he's always really angry when it doesn't. I'm convinced that everything's going to go wrong, so I'm ecstatic when it doesn't.

Nigel: I didn't win the lottery? What the *&^# am I @*#$ doing with my #$*% life and why does everything $#*@ happen to me!!!

Lois: Hey, I didn't get kidnapped and sold into white slavery today! This was an awesome day!

Who does the laundry?

Nigel. But only because he thinks that I do it wrong. I would prefer to do the laundry because then it would be washed, dried, folded and put away. Nigel prefers to pre-treat every stain with his special voodoo cleaning mixture before he washes it, dries it and then leaves it in a heap in the hallway.

Who sleeps on the right side of the bed?

Is there a wrong side? I guess that we both sleep on the outside of the bed (the inside would be pretty uncomfortable with all those springs -- good thing we don't have a water bed!).

Who pays the bills?

I do (I'm obsessed with my budget and I so love paying my bills online). Nigel likes to be blissfully unaware of how the finances work. As far as he knows, little fairies come in and keep the roof over our heads and the lights on.

Who cooks dinner?

Nigel. I can do breakfast and lunch, but I stink at dinner. Nigel can cook anything and everything. He can't follow a recipe to save his life, but just yell out "Beef Bolagnese" or "Fried Green Tomatoes" and he'll make them from scratch. He even makes his own pasta. He's amazing.

Who drives when you are together?

I do. Always. Nigel doesn't drive. I'm blaming the influence of that Amish farm house he grew up in for that one (but it does mean that we can get by with only one car and it's always mine).

Who is more stubborn?

Nigel. He's East Coast, I'm West Coast. I'm laid back, do whatever you want, I'm flexible. He's much more "my way or the highway."

Who kissed who first?

Can you kiss someone before someone else does? Don't you both kiss together? Are we doing this wrong?

Who is the first to admit when they are wrong?

Me. Because I usually am wrong.

Whose parents do you see the most?

Mine. We're kind of far from both sets, but my parents live by Disneyland (need I say more?).

Who proposed?

Nigel. But I had to force it out of him.

Who is more sensitive?

Nigel. I've got that Scandinavian "don't let your emotions show" thing going. With five older brothers, you learn to get a thick skin (figuratively and literally -- "Want a Hertz Donut?").

Who has more friends?

We both have the same friends, so it's even.

Who has more siblings?

Me. Nigel has one sister and one brother. I have five brothers and three sisters.

Who wears the pants in the family?

Neither of us. We're all nude all the time, baby!

Do you have a song?

We don't have "a song," but Nigel says that the song "Cinnamon Girl" by Neil Young reminds him of me. I think that he really means "Girlfriend in a Coma" by The Smiths.

8 comments:

Putz said...

oh my, lives in disneyland, nude all the time, you don't do laundry, the fridge food disappears in the night, did i want to know all that about you?? you really like to write don't you? having a discussion on some blogs(what do you think about mis spellers?)

SuziQ said...

Well worth the tag, Lois. Thanks for playing! You're always good for a laugh when I really need one. :) (And I meant that in a good way, I promise!)

Geo said...

i know somebody else who occasionally drives when the two of you are together . . .

Geo said...

or should I say the three of you?

Geo said...

p.s. i loved this post. glad you decided to play tag.

Lois said...

PUTZ -- mispellers ar ah-sum!

SUZIQ -- thanks for the tag!

GEO -- yes, you are my chauffeur of choice. Who else drives me to the hospital when I'm in labor or takes me to the airport? You're the best!!

Rynell said...

Tee hee! I loved reading this. I just love quirkiness. It is so much more fun and real life.

Lois said...

RYNELL -- thanks!