What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Friday, October 3, 2008

Thursday Thopping

Are things really cheaper at those dollar stores? I decided to do an experiment.

I bought 8 name brand items at my local dollar store (finding any name brand items at a dollar store is quite a feat in itself) that I wouldn't mind having multiples of in my food/home storage. I then bought the exact same items at three of my closest grocery stores.

Here are my results:

Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies, 13.1 oz
Dollar Store: $1.00
Smith's: $1.00
Macey's: $1.39
Albertson's: $1.39

Armour Vienna Sausages, 5 oz*
Dollar Store: $0.50
Smith's: $0.41
Macey's: $0.56
Albertson's: $0.99

Del Monte Healthy Kids Enriched Peach Chunks, 15 oz
Dollar Store: $0.50
Smith's: $1.40
Macey's: $1.89
Albertson's: $1.50

Chef Boyardee Mini Bites Pasta, 15 oz
Dollar Store: $1.00
Smith's: $1.00
Macey's: $1.49
Albertson's: $1.00

Nissin Top Ramen Chicken Flavor, 3 oz
Dollar Store: $0.20
Smith's: $0.20
Macey's: $0.20
Albertson's: $0.25

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, 1.5 oz
Dollar Store: $0.50
Smith's: $0.50
Macey's: $0.59
Albertson's: $0.50

Soft & Dri Clear Glide Deodorant, 2.6 oz
Dollar Store: $1.00
Smith's: $2.50
Macey's: $2.79
Albertson's: n/a**

SunSations Dish Detergent, 25 fl oz
Dollar Store: $1.00
Smith's: $0.99
Macey's: $0.99
Albertson's: $1.99

So I guess some things are cheaper, but not that much. You may come across some good deals (like the deodorant and the peaches), but I don't know if that's worth going into a dollar store for. Now, who's going to help me eat all these Little Debbie brownies?

*I made the mistake of taking Alice-Grace with me and she loves those disgusting Vienna sausages.

**Can you believe Albertson's doesn't carry any Soft & Dri deodorants? What's up with that?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool comparison! My little brothers loved vienna sausages growing up too!

b. said...

cheap peach chunks!!
YAY!

I love Thursday Thopping.

Tiffany said...

I'm a little saddened that my beloved Macy's was one of the more expensive ones in almost every single comparison.

Vorquel said...

You told me that they were ripoffs the other week. Lies!!!

Nigel said...

Good vienna sausages do not not not come in a can.

Putz said...

thank you for that much needed info...i have always wondered where the best real savings deals were and that really helps...i am a diabetic and can not help you with those little debbie donuts, or whatevers

Lois said...

SHILLIG -- I'm a little scared of them.

B -- I'm hoping my kids like them.

TIFFANY -- me too! They do have the cheapest cheese, though.

VORQUEL -- they are ripoffs. I had to wade through tons of ceramic gnomes before finding some items I wasn't scared of.

NIGEL -- you tell 'em!

PUTZ -- I'll just feed them to my unsuspecting children.