What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, September 17, 2009

First Impressions

Have you ever seen an actor or actress in a certain type of role and then no matter how hard you try (or how hard THEY try), you can't picture them any other way?

I'm not a fan of mafia/mobster movies (maybe it's because I don't like Italian food), so the first movie I saw Ray Liotta in was "Corrina, Corrina." So when I'm flipping through the TV channels and happen upon "Goodfellas," I can't stop picturing him playing the Jell-O jingle on the piano with Whoopi Goldberg. Not very threatening, I know.
The first time I ever saw Hugh Jackman, he was playing Curly in the musical "Oklahoma." Now I can't watch any of the "X-Men" movies without expecting him to break out singing "Surry with the Fringe on Top" in the middle of a big battle scene.
Don't even get me started on Shirley Jones. After years of watching her as Mrs. Partridge, I still can't bear to see her play a prostitute in "Elmer Gantry," even if she did win an Oscar for the role. I'm sorry, I can't. It's just not right.

Is it just me?

7 comments:

Geo said...

No. I can never seem to take Tom Hanks seriously in any sort of drama, having grown up watching him in "Bosom Buddies" in his young, cute, and silly days.

Lois said...

GEO -- oh, me too! I loved that show. "Sonny, Sonny, Sonny."

Carina said...

MmMMmmmm Goodfellas.

Carina said...

p.s. Brad Pitt once broke Carol Seaver's heart on Growing Pains and I've never forgiven him.

Lois said...

AZUCAR -- don't you mean, "Mmmmmmm Good N Plenty"?

What? Brad Pitt was on "Growing Pains"? Him AND Leonardo DiCaprio? Wow, who knew?

Rynell said...

I know! I totally see actors in the roles I saw them in first. I can't get over it. Perhaps it's why so many actors are typecast in the same sort of roles, again and again.

Lois said...

RYNELL -- yes, typecasting is horrible, but so true.