What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oops, I Did It Again!

When I was a little girl, I loved writing letters and making my own cards, stationery, postcards, etc. One day I made a postcard with a short note on it for my grandparents. Later that day my mother told me that she had a stamp ready for my postcard. I just looked at her strangely and said, "But I already have a stamp for it." My mother asked me where I got it from. "I drew it on myself, " I answered. She asked where the postcard was and I said that I had already mailed it in the mailbox down the street.

This threw her in a tizzy and she hurried down the street to the mailbox. She noted when the mail pick-up time was and returned to the mailbox and waited and waited and waited for the mailman to pick up the mail, with stamp in hand.

The mailman never came.

She waited the next day, he never came.

Finally she gave up. Oh well, it's just one little postcard lost in the mail.

A few days later my mother was surprised to get a phone call from her mother-in-law saying that they had received the cutest little postcard in the mail from me -- complete with hand-drawn stamp.

Well, last week I was again making my own postcards and mailing them out to friends and family. I made sure to use real stamps this time, but then found out -- too late -- that my postcards were much too large for postcard stamps, they needed full first class stamps.

Oh well, more postcards lost in the mail.

How surprised was I when I got a call from my family thanking me for the cute postcards.

Thank you, United States Postal Service.

11 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

That is amazing!

debi9kids said...

That's great! LOVE the story of you as a little girl :)

ps I had no idea you were back to blogging! Ity's been so long since I've "seen" you...

Vorquel said...

You gotta love the shrewd government efficiency behind this.

Heidi said...

Good thing you pay your taxes to make up for these little mistakes!

Lois said...

SHILLIG -- my grandma had to bring it up every time I visited.

BOUFMOM9 -- yeah, trying to get back into blogging (no one is as good as you, though, and I don't have nine kids!).

VORQUEL -- yeah, no wonder they have to keep raising postage stamp prices! It's because of me!

HEIDI -- yes! Good thing.

Rynell said...

Fabulous!

Karen said...

It's probably easier for them to just deliver it than to send it all the way back to you.

Geo said...

USPS hearts Lois!

JennyMac said...

I love making my own cards and postcards too! And I am sure someone at the Post Office who kept yours likes them too. LOL.

Lois said...

RYNELL -- yes, very fabulous for a little girl.

KAREN -- what? No. They were fooled by my grade school artistic abilities!

GEO -- yes, they do.

JENNYMAC -- I'm sure the post office gets all kinds of fun stuff.

Hurleys Happenings! said...

Finally, a positive plug for the post office! Sorry you had to wait for the mail carrier, but glad it all worked out. Your entries are hilarious!