What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Food Storage Update #2

Now we're about half-way through our month of no grocery shopping and only living off of our food storage.

Here's what I've realized so far:

-- I should've done this experiment in June or July so that I could at least get some fresh vegetables from my garden.

-- I'm going to need to freeze a lot more butter (when you're mostly eating home baked bread, you go through a lot more butter than I thought).

-- If at all possible, try to keep some cash as part of your food storage so that when your family revolts (and they will), you can make a quick trip to McDonald's and grab some Dollar Menu burgers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your updates...and your candid review of the system!

Anonymous said...

Love your candid review!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

those are great observations
I don't keep $ in my food storage but do in my 72hr kits. With my family living in the hurricane area we know that ATMS all shut down.
Also I ALWAYS want more eggs and butter! I know they have powdered eggs and I want some but powdered butter??
I did so much baking when we weren't buying groceries. LOTS OF DESSERTS made me feel better about feeding everyone beans/rice so often haha.

Vorquel said...

It's not just food storage; it's emergency preparedness. Everything that you normally buy should have some equivalent stored, not just food.

Lois said...

JHJD -- just being honest.

SHILLGS -- we had beans and rice last night for dinner and it was delicious. Of course, we had to add some freeze-dried cheese to it.

VORQUEL -- so true.

Geo said...

Are you allowing yourselves to barter with others—you know, swap storage items?