What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, May 6, 2010

On Top of Spaghetti...

I also decided to try out my #10 can of freeze-dried Italian seasoned meatballs.

That's right, freeze-dried meatballs. Who knew?

I rehydrated them as directed and put them in a tomato sauce to serve on top of spaghetti. They still tasted a little tough, though.

The next night, I made meatball subs (with my bread recipe for the rolls, some Manwich sauce, canned mushrooms and freeze-dried mozzarella cheese). Again, they seemed a little tough.

Nigel and I thought they were OK. My children did NOT like them and said that they didn't taste like meat.

Again, something I won't be buying in the future (after all, how many recipes do you know that use "meatballs"?).

Please note -- I had a meatball sub the next day for lunch and it tasted MUCH better. Maybe they just needed more time to rehydrate.

8 comments:

Vorquel said...

Dehydrated meat... yum?

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

wow! I'm impressed. I don't store cool things like apple juice powder and meatballs...I just store rice and beans and wheat haha oh and lots of powdered milk.

SuziQ said...

So now you know, you just have to start them rehydrating three days before an emergency. No problem.

Lois said...

VORQUEL -- it's actually not that bad if it's freeze-dried.

SHILLIGS -- I'm beginning to think that the simpler items are the best things to store. The other more "fancy" foods aren't very versatile and you get sick of them quicker.

ALIEN -- is this spam? What are all these alien comments being left on my blog?

SUZIQ -- yeah, maybe that's what those tornado warnings are for: time to start hydrating those meatballs!

Vorquel said...

@Lois regarding aliens: You really should delete those posts with all the dots after it. You don't even want to know where those links lead.

Lois said...

VORQUELS -- yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to delete them and start moderating the comments. Again, thanks.

Vorquel said...

No problem, I probably should have mentioned it sooner though.

Geo said...

Chinese aliens recently invaded by blog and I made the mistake of clicking the link—next thing I knew I couldn't access my email or my blogs. Wound up getting assistance from Google and changed a password, and I'm back in business. But still. Getting hacked is not fun. I'm glad you're moderating now.