What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Running of the Roses

I have a tradition of watching the Kentucky Derby every year.

Since it's "the most exciting two minutes in sports," it's the only athletic event my attention span will handle (we just avoid "the most boring four hours in sports" that appears before and after the race).

Frances was my watching partner this year (mostly because she wasn't feeling well and couldn't get off the couch). We donned our festive Derby hats (regular hats that we decorated with whatever was in arm's reach of us at the time -- mine was covered with Barbie dolls) and ate some Lifesaver mints that Frances found in her backpack (instead of drinking mint juleps).

Then we had to make our bets. Frances based her bet on the cute outfit the jockey was wearing and I based mine on "whatever horse Calvin Borel is riding."

I won.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!

Lois said...

JHJD -- that's the one sporting event (besides the Olympics) that we watch at our house.

Geo said...

Anybody cheered on by a woman wearing Barbies on her hat is a guaranteed winner.