What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Final Analysis Revisited

I can't believe I forgot the two most important things I learned in my "living off my food storage for the month of May" experiment:

-- Even though making a bed out of #10 cans seems like a good way of storing your supplies in a small space, GETTING at them is a whole other story. After a few days of getting all the stuffed animals off the bed, moving the mattress (is there anything harder to maneuver than a mattress?), tackling the bed board, then trying to remember where that specific can is (even though I had made a map beforehand, it was still horrible), I decided it was easier just to go hungry.

-- Make sure to include some snacks in your food storage plan (cookies, crackers, fruit snacks, etc.). Making dinner takes a LOT longer when everything's from scratch (including grinding your own flour) and your kids will eventually sneak into your pantry and eat your entire supply of chocolate chips if you don't have some quick snacks on hand.

3 comments:

Geo said...

I think you should write a short story about food storage beds and submit it to Sunstone.

rena said...

Our cans are stacked against the wall and they are STILL hard to get to. I can only imagine how hard you were with a bed!

Lois said...

GEO -- yeah, my not liking food storage beds.

RENA -- the one good thing about my experiment is that I was so low on food by the end of it that it made cleaning out my fridge/freezer and reorganizing my pantry a lot easier!