What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, June 7, 2010

You can take the girl out of food storage, but you can't take food storage out of the girl

So it's finally June and I can go back to the grocery store!

A few days ago I had my first shopping outing and I was envisioning a shopping cart overflowing with delicious easy-to-prepare items.

Not quite.

After hitting the much-missed produce section, my mind was a complete blank on what to buy! I realized that most of what I buy I don't really need and left the store with only two bags.

Even yesterday, I made sloppy Joes with freeze-dried chicken chunks, canned sauce, freeze-dried mozzarella cheese and some hamburger buns that were left over from a neighborhood barbecue.

Oh well.

3 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

haha I love it!
I can totally relate!
I avoid grocery stores each week b/c I know I can just make do and get creative at home!

Geo said...

Here's a thought. Go to BountifulBaskets.org and place a produce order for cheap. My sister-in-law does this every week and is very happy. I tried it last week—ordered on Monday and picked up my loot on Saturday, and we've been really pleased with how much fruit & vegies we got for $16.50 (two laundry baskets full of food). I can tell you more if you're interested. I pick mine up at the Vineyard Elementary School just off Geneva Road. Quick, easy, fun, cheap, and good eats.

Lois said...

SHILLIG -- you're my idol.

GEO -- ooh, I'll have to check it out.