What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, June 14, 2010

"Running" a 5K

A few days ago I "ran" a 5K.

You'll notice that the word "ran" is in quotes because let's be honest, there's very little running going on when I'm doing it. It's more like a slow, agonizing jog or a very fast walk.

And this was a very BIG race with actual numbers on our chests and timers on our shoes. Very high tech. The best part is that I finished in about 6 1/2 minutes UNDER my goal time and I saw lots of my friends in the race (mostly I saw them as they were all PASSING me by).

Nigel and the kids were there to cheer me on and it was a lot of fun. We've decided that next time we'll ALL run/jog/walk together as a family.

The last time I did one was in 1985. I thought this would hold me for another 25 years, but it was so much fun, I can't wait to do another.

10 comments:

Vorquel said...

Sorry, I can't think of anything clever to say. Congrats though.

Camille said...

This is the best thing ever!!!!!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I'm so glad you put the FUN part in at the end, I keep hearing these things are FUN and can't wait to try my hand at it!

Curtis said...

Good for you! I think Chloe and I will be doing the Freedom Festival 5K. And, I know what you mean by "running." I've got the running motion down pretty well, but still, people are walking past me.

SuziQ said...

Yay! It was tons of fun and I can't wait to do one next month!!!

rena said...

You're awesome! I did the AIDS walk a few years ago and that really was a lot of fun. The last time I did a 5 or 10 K run was before I was married!!!

Lois said...

VORQUEL -- thanks.

CAMILLE -- we missed you there!

SHILLIGS -- it was really fun, especially meeting other runners.

CURTIS -- I'll be missing the Freedom Festival 5K because I'll be at work. I'll cheer you on in spirit, though!

SUZIQ -- it was so fun starting and ending with you there (though you were so far ahead of me I never actually saw you DURING the race).

RENA -- yeah, remember when we used to sign up and then just pick up the T-shirt and go home and not even run? Ah, memories.

Geo said...

You are awesome.

Shana said...

Amazing! I'm proud of you.

Lois said...

GEO -- thanks.

SHANA -- not as amazing as being a cheerleader, but I'll take what I can.