What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thursday Thopping

So I've decided that the best way to save money grocery shopping is to go to my local el cheapo supermarket and stick to my shopping list and buy store brand items.

But if I see an ad where a store is having a mondo sale (which is usually every other month), then I go to the manufacturer's Web sites of those sale items and print off coupons for those same items (since the stores that take Internet coupons usually are the ones that have the big sales).

For example:

Normal cost of various items: $32.80
Cost of items after store sale: $20.00
Save $5 for buying 10 items: $15.00
Cost after Internet coupons: $10.00

So from $32.80 to $10.00, not too bad -- and getting the coupons AFTER I know what's on sale is a lot easier than clipping a bunch of coupons and then hoping that those same items go on sale before the coupons expire.

9 comments:

SuziQ said...

Very smart...you need to teach me your frugal ways!

dalene said...

Two words:

Grocery Guru

Lois said...

SUZIQ -- I'm still trying to figure out my frugal ways. It's a work in progress.

CW -- that's me!

Shamelessly said...

Well I don't have anything to add about coupons. I mean I know what they are and all but other then that they're pretty alien. I'm sorta ashamed to say I NEVER use them.

I really just wanted to pop on and say hello. Suzi told us about you and I was checking all my friends blogs and wondering why I wasn't cool enough to have a Lois comment. Then I realized I did.

I struggle.

Thanks for stopping by. PS... I loved the cantalopes on the roof story. :)

debi9kids said...

I agree! Grocery Guru!
Woohoo! What awesome deals!

The MacMizzles said...

GO Lois! I admire your tenacity, something fierce.

Lois said...

SHAMELESSLY -- yeah, my mom is famous for that story.

BOUFMOM9 -- I'm trying!

McMILLANS -- tenacious, that's me!

Geo said...

How much would you charge me to run my life?

Lois said...

GEO -- to run your life or ruin your life? I think that I've already done the latter.