What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, March 20, 2008

W.O.W. Diet

Along with my other spring resolutions (like keeping my house clean and actually brushing my hair and wearing make-up so I don't scare my co-workers), we're starting a new diet.

Well, I'm starting a new diet and I'm dragging Nigel (kicking and screaming) along for the ride.

In the spirit of the man who wrote a book about following all the laws in the Old Testament, I'm going to try to follow all the laws in the Word of Wisdom.

So, no alcohol (no big deal), no tobacco (not a problem), no hot drinks (don't drink them).

Now for the tough ones.

Fruits, vegetables, herbs in their season -- OK, I'll admit it. I don't know when things are in season! I'm so botanically challenged that I have no idea. Does it count if they're in season in Ecuador and it's imported? What about if they WERE in season when they were frozen or canned? Is there a Web site that'll tell me when things are in season in my area?

No meat except for in times of winter and famine -- I've heard some people say, "It's always winter in my freezer" or "I'm famished now." Of course, meat is very expensive, so my cheapness says to follow this one to the letter. Now it says "beasts of the field" and "fowls of the air," so I'm figuring that fish are still OK to eat.

Grains -- I'm trying to switch over to whole grains (last night I sneaked in some whole grain pasta and Nigel didn't even notice -- he normally hates it).

Today I'm giving blood, so let's see if I'll really "walk and not faint."

2 comments:

Rynell said...

This idea has occurred to me too.

My red-meat-loving husband is not keen on it. But I am cooking with less and less meat.

It's hard to do the everything in its season (all year long) with a short growing season. I guess if I had a massive garden and then froze/canned things it would work. But I don't.

I am looking forward to Farmer's Market...

Lois said...

RYNELL -- we have a farmer's market here, but it's only on Saturday mornings and I work every Saturday morning so I always miss it. I'll have to look into something else.

Tonight for dinner we had pancakes (delicious) and soy sausages (not too tasty).