What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Open the door! -- notice I didn't say Richard?*

Growing up, we NEVER locked our door. This would kind of weird out my friends who had multiple locks on their doors and alarm systems. We figured that there was always somebody home and no one would want to steal anything from our house (especially since my father refused to buy a car that was made after 1965 and we had an old toilet thrown out in the middle of our lawn/dirt).

Since moving to our condo, we ALWAYS keep our door locked -- especially if we're home -- and that's all because of Chase.

Chase was a little three-year-old boy who ran wild around the complex. His mother would give him a walkie-talkie and she would have the other one and that's how she kept track of where he was. Since all the apartments look the same, he got used to just walking into any old unit in hopes of finding his home (or better yet, someone who would feed him).

One day my neighbor was almost given a heart attack by Chase pushing back the curtain while she was showering and asking, "Can I have a sandwich?"

Sometimes you wouldn't know he was even in your home until you heard that familiar crackle of a radio and his mother asking, "Chase? Where are you?" I would then pick up the radio (since Chase always just dropped it upon entering someone's home) and answer, "He's in here with us. He's eating an apple." Never mind that his mother didn't know who "us" was, she was just excited that he had something to eat.

You see, we thought it strange that Chase was always hungry. We would ask him if he had any food at his house and he would answer, "No." We soon found out that they owned a health food restaurant and ate there breakfast, lunch and dinner, so felt no need to carry food in their own home (and what three-year-old likes to eat granola and hummus?).

One day, my kids wanted to dip their toes in the swimming pool. Chase was out with us and he wanted to tag along. I told him he could, but that we were only looking at the water. Of course, Chase jumped in -- fully clothed. Soon his mother ran out and saw the soaking wet boy and she was ANGRY! Turns out they were just leaving to get a family portrait taken. Glug!

Although Chase and his family have long since moved away, his legacy lives on. We still keep our door locked at all times and I do NOT take anyone else's kid to the pool.

*You have to be over age 70 to get this joke -- or a big Bugs Bunny fan.

9 comments:

The MacMizzles said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing so hard right now. We had a chase in our neighborhood growing up. The kid was down right Grimee, and I mean boogers and poop breath. We had to feed her constantly. Unfortunately, "the village" could not raise this one right.

Anonymous said...

WELL WE TOO KEEP OUR DOORS LOCKED AND BY THIS STORY I'M GLAD WE DO!

VERY CUTE THOUGH.

Shana said...

Teehee, I think every neighborhood has one of those. I did growing up. You also inspired me to find out what "Open the door, Richard" meant. I heard an old song (inspired by an old comedy routine), and sent a copy of the song to my dad, Richard. Good work.

Rynell said...

That is so funny! I lock my doors too.

Putz said...

when i was on my trike five years old i ran away from home, i got on the old granstville highway which was about a mile from home and got hungry, i spied an old farmhouse and went up to the door and to the woman at the door said'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''"two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches please, and she said before she took my order she would need to have my mo's name.....the rat called my mother and my journey was at an end

Lois said...

McMILLANS -- I must clarify that Chase was in no way grimy or grubby. He was very well dressed and groomed -- just allowed to roam the neighborhood.

SHILLIG4FAMILY -- yeah, we occasionally get people at our door thinking that it's the next building over!

SHANA -- way to do your research!

RYNELL -- does anyone NOT lock their doors these days?

PUTZ -- oh, that story is so funny! I'll have to try that next time some kid comes knocking at my door. You are hilarious!

Geo said...

*Or a Louis Jordan fan (like me).

This is a short story waiting to happen. What a great name for that poor kid—Chase. It's perfect.

Tiffany said...

Great story!

Lois said...

GEO -- oh, I never realized the "Chase" connection. You are too clever.

TIFFANY -- thanks!