What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, April 28, 2008

Whoa on the W.O.W.

So I'm stinking at my W.O.W. diet.

I want meat! I need my protein! I'm starving to death! My kids are starving to death!

OK, so I'm using my children as an excuse. I stopped feeding them years ago. They hate EVERYTHING! These kids hate macaroni & cheese, spaghetti, peanut butter & jelly, chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese sandwiches -- all the kid favorites! They live off of popsicles and milk. I give up.

Nigel was doing really well, but I've thrown in the towel. I've started eating meat again.

I am still doing whole grains. It's great now that just about everything is available with whole grains (whole wheat means nothing, has to be whole grains) and my kids barely notice it. You can even get whole grain tortillas! We are getting tons more fiber in our diet and you really do get filled up a lot quicker with the whole grains.

I'm doing more fruits and vegetables and low-fat dairy products. I'm considering frozen fruits and vegetables as "in season" since that's when they're picked and then flash frozen (plus they're a lot cheaper and last longer than fresh).

I did discover some things about those fake meat products. Soy sausage is nasty. It smells like sausage, but the texture is way off (too smooth). Veggie burgers are good and the "steak" strips and "chicken" strips are pretty tasty (Nigel even thought they were real meat, just super tender). The veggie "chicken" patties and veggie "BBQ ribs" taste EXACTLY like McDonald's Chicken McNuggets and McRib Sandwiches. Makes me wonder what's REALLY in their food!

So much for "run and not be weary and walk and not faint," but at least I'm trying.

7 comments:

SuziQ said...

OK, I have to say that we are big fans of the fake meat. We use the veggie crumbles in all recipes that call for ground beef. We LOVE the fake rib sandwiches - try them with some coleslaw on top, they're delicious! We bought some of the chicken patties but haven't eaten them yet. I'm glad to hear a good review of them!

Anonymous said...

i don't even go for the fake stuff... i have just figured out recipes w/o meat and we eat a ton of spinach salads and nuts to get good protein... different strokes for different folks

Geo said...

Funny title, Lois.

We don't love fake meat either. We're good with tofu and eggs and cheese and nuts, etc. other stuff that when combined make complete proteins, but most of the stuff I've tried like you described is just too scary.

I've got a realy yummy vegie burger mix recipe for you.

The MacMizzles said...

Yes, you deserve to pat yourself on the back. I am not a fan of the fake sausage. I tried it once in my efforts to loose weight. Lets just say that eventually my husband told me that it was either him or the fake stuff. He won. I am glad.

SC_mommie said...

Have y'all ever read 'The Maker's Diet' by Jordan S. Rubin? I've been dealing w/candida issues & THIS seems like something I can actually DO! Our son hates to eat & so I try to make every calorie count. Our daughter eats whatever pureed food we offer... Hubby is eternally addicted to sugar, processed foods & garbage in general. His colitis will never heal if he doesn't knock it off, but I reckon' he's gotten used to it. He's been dealing w/his issues for better than 15 years. Anyway, I really liked the book & IMO- it can be adjusted to suit your lifesyle/needs... (ANY positive changes are better than NONE...) Also, Mom has a recipe for meat-less 'stuff' that you can use to replace all or part of ground meats... I have it around here somewhere, if interested...

Putz said...

how can you lose the aquired taste of sugar?????/and why did god make it so good, if wee over 66 are supposed to NEVER partake of sugar?

Lois said...

SUZIQ -- hey, guess what I had for lunch today? Fake BBQ rib sandwich with coleslaw on top! Very yummy.

SHILLIG4FAM -- I'm just not sure how to get good protein. Guess I need to read up.

GEO -- you are the queen. I can't compete.

McMILLANS -- yeah. I just don't get how the chicken and ribs can be so good and the sausage oh so nasty!

SC MOMMIE -- sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out.

PUTZ -- I'm with you, sugar is awesome!