What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Speaking of bacon...

So my coworker was mocking my "it's not real art unless there's bacon stapled to it" comment and she gave me a recipe from The Dallas Morning News for Bacon Chocolate-Chip Cookies with Maple-Cinnamon Glaze.

I showed her. I actually MADE them and brought them to work.

I know you're anxious to try these yourself, so here's the recipe:

BACON CHOCOLATE-CHIP COOKIES WITH MAPLE-CINNAMON GLAZE

DOUGH:
3/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp hazelnut or 1/2 tsp almond extract (hazelnuts are of the devil and for some reason my almond extract bottle was empty -- what was I using almond extract in? I'm thinking Nigel's been drinking it -- so I just left this ingredient out)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white chocolate chips (white chocolate is totally nasty -- I think it's just powdered milk mixed with Crisco -- I omitted this and added more semisweet chocolate chips)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 lbs crumbled cooked bacon (yes, two pounds!!!)
1/2 lb cooked bacon strips

GLAZE:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 TB maple extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 TB water (enough to make a thick glaze)

Beat butter, sugars, extracts and eggs until creamy. Sift dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir. Should make a soft dough. Mix in chips and crumbled bacon. (This is the point where my kids, who were so excited I was actually making cookies, started freaking out. "Mom! What are you doing? Don't put bacon in it! Mom!!!") Stir. Wrap dough in waxed paper and refrigerate for one hour. (You know, so the bacon flavor can permeate every bit of dough)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pinch off 1 1/2 inch pieces of dough and roll into balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. (Because the bacon will give you PLENTY of grease) Flatten balls slightly. Bake for 10 minutes. (I actually baked mine for about 13 minutes) Cool. Whisk glaze ingredients together and spread on top of cookies and then top with cooked bacon strip pieces. (I decided not to waste any more delicious bacon on this recipe, so I just topped them with the glaze and ate the extra bacon for breakfast)

Frances (who is my adventurous eater -- she loves squid and can't wait to try escargot) wouldn't go near these cookies. Jeffrey and Alice-Grace ate one, but only one. Nigel said he couldn't taste the bacon, but they had a weird texture.

The consensus at work is that they "taste like breakfast."

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mocking?" OK, well, maybe a little. But in the nicest sense of the word. Are you going to try the Pecan-Brown Sugar & Bacon Ice Cream next?

Anonymous said...

i'm from the south and we love bacon but COME ON!

Shana said...

Make these for, um, movie club next time. I'm pretty sure they'd be gross, but I love trying new things :)

Geo said...

If I was the gamblin: type, I:d have put money on you trying that bacon cookies recipe. If you ever make em again, can I try one?

)Sorry for the wierd punctuation. Something:s wrong with my keyboard.0

Lois said...

COWORKER -- you know, that ice-cream actually sounds kind of yummy!

SHILLIG4FAMILY -- what? Everything's better with bacon!

SHANA -- yeah, the ladies would love that.

GEO -- I doubt I'd be making them again. Sorry, I should've brought a few by for you and hubby!

Putz said...

ooooh, i don't think i like bacon in my cookie, just pleanty of sugary sugar

Lois said...

PUTZ -- well, of course lots of sugar! That's the whole point of cookies, isn't it?

Jillybean said...

I LOVE that you actually made them!

SuziQ said...

So sad I missed them! You must make them again and bring them on a day I'm there. Today would have been great, since I was nauseated anyway! :)

Geo said...

Look what I found for you.

http://www.baconwrapt.com/

http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2007/09/bacon_scarf.php

Lois said...

JILL -- yeah, I'm a little amazed myself.

SUZIQ -- you missed them! I will not be making them again, though.

GEO -- you'd better watch out, you might just be getting some bacon-themed gifts for your next birthday!

M said...

Maybe it's because I didn't have any breakfast that morning, but I thought the ones you brought to work were delicious.

Maple=Good
Cookie=Good
Bacon=GOOD

It's not complicated, people.

Lois said...

MARLSVEN -- yes, the maple glaze was a good bridge between the cookie and the bacon. Glad you liked them.

The MacMizzles said...

You know how Homer Simpson feels about Bacon? He calls it the magical meat.

I will try this recipe, for sure.

debi9kids said...

This sounds like a recipe you would see on Iron Chef! LOL
Maybe a side of some bacon yogurt would go nicely? LOL

Lois said...

McMILLANS -- mmmm bacon...doh!

BOUFMOM9 -- bacon yogurt? Now that's nasty. Yeah, that would be good on "Iron Chef"! Maybe that's where they got the recipe.

Carina said...

I think you got mixed up: you wrote "hazelnuts are of the devil" when I'm sure you meant "hazelnuts are a glimpse of eternity!"

Glad I could help!

Lois said...

AZUCAR -- yeah, an eternity of me barfing because of the nastiness of hazelnuts!