What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

But It's Not Fun Unless I Buy Something

So yesterday I took the family and some of the kids' friends to a fair at a local park. As I picked up one of Alice-Grace's friends, I explained to her mother that I'm not spending any money this month, so she should eat before she went (we
 would only be gone two hours).

While at the park, the first thing the little girl said to me was, "I want a dollar." I asked why and she said so she could get a sucker. I explained to her that the majority of activities were free and that she didn't need to buy anything. I even took her to a booth where after you played a game you got a free sucker.

But that wasn't enough. Throughout the whole day of free music, free face-painting, free hair-braiding, free games, free bounce houses, free samples of various foods, free petting zoo, free pony rides, etc., she kept saying over and over again, "But I really want to buy something!"

I know, I so get the feeling. Why do we have this overwhelming desire to buy something? How come an activity doesn't count unless we buy something?

(I didn't really well and didn't buy anything yesterday, though my car's rearview mirror keeps committing suicide and jumping off the windshield -- right now it's mounted to a camera tripod we stuck between the two front seats)

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I KNOW! I've noticed a real change in entertainment since I was a kid. Lots of families walking around stores all together on nights and weekends, just whiling away the hours by shopping. Couples who hang out at the mall, Costco, or even Home Depot doing the same thing. Mothers with screaming children in their carts trolling the aisles aimlessly in Target. And shopping centers are catering to us by inventing/expecting "shopping vacations" which (unlike yours) means you leave town just to shop.

Dorothy Jensen said...

Hey, Lois---I'm proud of your well-power! But sounds like you and yours still have fun activities. I sent you a letter today (July 25) so you should get it soon. I had a lot to do at our ward's Pioneer Day celebration. I supplied the Primary with pioneer costumes, had my choir put on a 16 minute program (narration with music). Dad even got to play his harmonica and howl like a wolf. (This last part startled the audience and for once, all the kids stopped talking.) I also put up posters about the old-timers in the ward. Each person interviewed was asked to give advice. The oldest person (age 95) gave this advice: "Go with the flow!"
Love your blog.
Mom
(I forgot my blog name)

lisa moore said...

Five more days! You can do it!