What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Waffle Cake

Today I actually went to the Farmers Market and DIDN'T spend any money. Hooray!

I must admit it's pretty nice to say to my kids when they beg for something, "You know I'm not spending any money this month." End of conversation.

I was in the mood for cake, but didn't want to heat up the house by turning on the oven. Instead I made some white cake batter (from scratch, thank you very much) and cooked it in  the WAFFLE IRON! It turned out delicious with strawberry jam and whipped cream. Of course, everything tastes great from my 1941 Manning-Bowman waffle iron.

Tonight I even took Alice-Grace to the mall and didn't spend any money. I'm probably going to get a call from my credit card company thinking that I've lost my card.

3 comments:

JandB said...

Sounds like I need to get a waffle iron! By the way, I'm loving all your blog posts recently! You should do something new every month and blog about it.

Karen said...

I just found your blog, from Segullah, and find it interesting that you are trying not to buy anything for the month of July.

I was cleaning and organizing our house. It was making me crazy because my husband, daughter and I all hang on to things too much. We have too much, and have a hard time getting rid of things.

I declared that we were NOT buying anything for a year!

I said: we won't buy anything, no stuff, no presents for birthdays or holidays -- other than I'm sure Santa will bring something for our daughter, she's 7 -- but we are not buying stuff.

For birthdays we can go to dinner or a movie or Disneyland, but we don't need any more stuff.

My reasoning is that we have too much. Our house is too full and I'm tired of it.

My family accepted it well. The additional rules are: we can buy food and clothes, if we really need them, but not as many as we bought last year. We can buy gifts for others. And books, we can't live without books. My dd says that's because books are for your brain. (Luckily we recently got a Kindle, so some of our books won't take any space).

So far I LOVE it. I call it my 'buying fast' and I have found it very freeing. When I go someplace I just think: oh, I'm not buying anything, or remind my daughter and she's fine with it (amazingly).

It has really helped me notice that most of the stuff at the store is junk. Although I haven't gone to the Farmer's market, so that might be hard.

Lois said...

JandB -- I must admit that I love "stunt journalism." So far I've done living off of my food storage for a month and now not buying anything extra. Maybe next time I'll do buying only American-made products.

Karen -- you are my idol! Love, love, love your philosophy.