What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Family Camp Day Five: Flag Day

Happy Flag Day! We started off the day with a (free) breakfast at our local supermarket. There was French toast with yummy butter syrup (see recipe below) and orange juice or milk to drink. It must be popular because we saw many of our friends there.

After that we went swimming (and continued some events from Olympics Day). While in the jacuzzi, we went over proper flag etiquette and the history of "Old Glory" (isn't that what most people discuss while hot tubbing?).

Then off to buy Nigel a Father's Day gift and a quick snack at the local French bakery. After all, without the French, we never would have won the Revolutionary War!

I taught the kids how to make a perfect five-pointed star with a few folds and just one straight cut of the scissors. Supposedly, the story goes that George Washington wanted six-pointed stars on the flag because he thought a five-pointed star would be too hard to do. Betsy Ross showed him how to fold a piece of fabric and with one cut make a star. Here are our stars.
That evening we went to the flag retirement ceremony to see the old, tattered flags be burned. It was a really great program with music, a speaker, and lots of scouts. I think Frances, Jeffrey and Alice-Grace enjoyed it (of course, they enjoy anything involving a large fire).
All in all, it was a much more relaxing Family Camp day, but one that had a lot more meaning.

Sweet Butter Syrup

1/2 cup real butter

1 cup sugar
1 tsp light corn syrup

1/2 cup buttermilk


Cook ingredients until boiling, then add:

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla extract

10 comments:

dalene said...

So I've been feeling like a totally lame-o mom because I'm not as cool as you and my kids are not having as cool a summer as your kids.

But today you made me feel sooooo much better about myself. I don't know how I missed you, but I was at the free French Toast breakfast (p.s. I love how you tied in the French to flag day), twice. I went at the start w/ Z~ before he went to march in the Art City Days Parade, then I went back later with Luke. (I only ate once though.)

And Shane and the kids were at the flag burning.

So I guess my kids are not totally missing out. Wahoo.

p.s. I know I've told you this before, but you really should write a book.

Lois said...

CW -- I'm sorry I missed you. And you were even there twice! Luckily, I did get to see GEO and her hubby there (along with some people from my neighborhood).

Hey, when it comes to French food, I can tie it into anything!

I totally missed Shane at the flag burning! I guess I was too distracted by all the large dogs that were there.

debi9kids said...

I was so sad that we didn't attend the Flag day ceremony this year! First time in 5 years!!!!
How wonderful that you teach your children all of that history! We are HUGE into our nations history as well. :)
Debi
ps Thank you so VERY much for your kind words yesterday. It meant so much to me.

Geo said...

We loved seeing you guys this morning, even more than we loved the butter syrup, and that's saying a lot.

Guess what. That really was Kevin G. I spotted at the table next to us. It was really really strange to talk to him. I think he must have had a stroke or some kind of accident. He didn't look or seem well at all. To top off our meeting with real class, I totally offended Kevin's sister by calling her his mother. I promised I'd never make that kind of mistake again in life, but I was just so sure that was his mama! She looked like she wanted to kill me.

Anyway, your kiddos cut some mighty fine stars. Thanks for sharing a little of your staycation with us!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea yesterday was FLAG DAY!

Putz said...

how long is this family thingy going to last/??????????????

Thomas said...

The flag burning reminded me about you telling me the story about Aunt Glass Eye and the elemntary school fire. Ha ha what a story! You need to do a blog about that one.

The McMillans said...

Lois, I have to inquire...where do you find all the free stuff? I am so impressed.

Anonymous said...

Lois -- You are a creative genius. Amazed at you. -- julene

Lois said...

BOUFMOM9 -- you are awesome. You are such an inspiration. I don't know how you get all the wonderful things done that you do! You're great.

GEO -- oh no!!! How horrible! It was nice to see you, sorry for the "foot in mouth" episode.

SHILLIG4FAM -- yeah, good thing because we were running out of themes for this family camp!

PUTZ -- seven days. Yes, it is a little long. I would suggest going shorter next time!

THOMAS -- I think I did. I'll have to figure out which one it is. I've got some hilarious aunts.

McMILLANS -- I must admit that I keep my eyes peeled for free stuff and now people e-mail me info because they know I can't pass up a free event. Your local library is a good resource, also check out your city's Web site. They usually have a listing of fun events.

JHJD4EVER -- it has been fun and I think the kids have really enjoyed it. I don't know what they're going to do when I go back to work and they have to entertain themselves!