What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Family Camp Day Two: Under the Sea

Today in "family camp" our theme was "under the sea." We started off with some delicious fish pancakes. No, not pancakes MADE out of fish, but rather regular pancakes that LOOK like fish.
Then we drove to the local fish hatchery for a tour of the visitors center which we soon discovered to be closed (because of "whirling" disease). But we did learn that children under age 12 don't need a fishing license. Good news because my kids are always begging to go fishing.

After that disappointment, we went to the art museum to count how many works had "fish" in them. Can you believe that we only found six? Three in paintings and three on a sculpture. The kids must've looked odd to all the museum docents as they searched from room to room asking, "Are there any fish? Did you see any fish?"

Then we ate some lunch and headed to a local park were there was a very scummy pond full of tadpoles and water bugs. Also at the park we played many "ocean" games such as: sardines, octopus tag, fish-light shark-light (OK, we're reaching there), fish maker (our own version of statue maker), etc. We had a lot of fun and most of the games my kids had never played before.

We then drove home to eat our "ocean dessert" made out of blue Jello, Swedish fish, gummy sharks, gummy frogs and whipped cream. Does anyone else think it odd that Frances bit the heads off of her fish and had them floating at the top?
Then it was off to a hunting/fishing store to see them feed the huge tanks of trout. This is especially exciting because they feed them live goldfish and you always hope one of them makes it out alive. We were a little disturbed by this one trout that just hung out at the bottom of the tank licking the same rock over and over again. Even more disturbing was Nigel's inability to figure out a PlayStation hunting game. We looked around the store, checked out the displays, did some shooting in the shooting gallery and gave in and bought the kids some fishing poles (they don't seem to understand that the down-side to fishing is that you might actually CATCH some fish. Then you have to clean them and eat them! Yuck!).

To end the day we went to a seafood restaurant and ordered a variety of crab, shrimp, lobster, clams, etc. We had a fun time trying everything out and Jeffrey's favorite part was figuring out which ligament to pull to get his crab claw to open and close. As we were leaving, the hostess pulled a lobster out of the tank and let Frances and Alice-Grace hold it and pet it (of course, I wanted nothing to do with it -- I can't stand any animal that doesn't have fur, it's unnatural).

Another fun (but tiring) day of family camp. Can't wait for tomorrow!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

did I mention you are awesome!? your kids will love these memories!!!

Putz said...

i can't believe how neat you are, a disppointed fish hatchery and yet someone used their brain and figured a museum with fish pictures and trying out seafood which the kids probably had never tasted...pus pamcakes...wow we had christmas in july for our family reunion up ephraim canyon, but that was only one idea, you had multiple ideas for one day outing

Putz said...

oh, and i bet the park was liberty park, wasn't it????

Geo said...

You are da fish bomb.

rabidrunner said...

Can I be part of your family?

The MacMizzles said...

Them's some lucky kids.

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness - you are super mom! No wonder they're begging you to join Segullah.

dalene said...

Did the fish pancakes have bacon in them?

SuziQ said...

Another awesome family camp day! I know you don't scrapbook..if you'd like to give me your pics from the week, I'd love to do an album for you guys!

Lois said...

SHILLIG4FAM -- I hope they even remember.

PUTZ -- no, not Liberty Park. Do they have a scummy pond there, too?

GEO -- ka-boom!

RABID -- ooh, I would love for you to be! But then, would you force me to go running with you?

McMILLANS -- I think they were more tired than lucky.

TIFFANY -- do they make fish pancakes over at Segullah?

CW -- nope, no bacon. But that would've been delicious!

SUZIQ -- oh my gosh, are you serious? I'll have to e-mail you all our pics (there's really not that many). Thanks!

SuziQ said...

Yes, I'm serious...I'd love to!

Lois said...

SUZIQ -- I'll have to e-mail you all of our photos. Just use my blog for the "journaling" part? Is that the proper scrapbooking jargon?

rena said...

I love what Francis did with her dessert!

Remember when mom did child care and took the kids to the aquarium store to feed the koi and one kid kept eating the fish food?

rena said...

putz - what are pus pamcakes?

Lois said...

RENA -- yes, that aquarium place was great. Yum, fish food!

I think he meant "plus pancakes," but "pus pamcakes" sound delicious! Aren't they on sale right now at Denny's?

SuziQ said...

Yeah, I'll use your blogs for the journaling, works for me! (So proud of you for being up on your scrapbooking jargon...LOL) I'm not known for my journaling, but I can handle it since I didn't have to do the witty writing!