What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Friday, June 13, 2008

Family Camp Day Three: Dinosaurs

All the traveling and fun of yesterday wore us out, so "Dinosaur" day kind of fizzled.

We started off really well with us making milk jug T-Rex skulls and papier mache dinosaur bones.
Then we headed off to the local Earth Science Museum (free!) to check out all the displays of fossils, dinosaurs, crystals, etc. We even got to see real scientists working on the bones!
We decided to be dinosaur scientists ourselves and used toothpicks to excavate the chocolate chips out of some cookies. That worked great until it started getting too warm and all of our chips started melting (do dinosaur bones melt?).

Then we had dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets for lunch.

Since the weather was FINALLY nice, we went swimming (dinosaurs swim, don't they?) and hot tubbing (dinosaurs hung out in hot springs, didn't they?).

We were going to film our dinosaur movies (Nigel has a dinosaur puppet -- don't ask), but time got away from us.

I had a huge dinner party I was in charge of that night (we did a spoof on Food Network's "Iron Chef" and the secret ingredient was strawberries) and we must've had between 20-30 people come. It was a lot of fun, but I was exhausted afterwards and didn't get much "dinosauring" in afterwards.

Hey, I think dinosaurs ate strawberries, didn't they?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved your center piece last night!!!

and glad you had another awesome day!

dalene said...

Did anyone serve bacon with the strawberries? Because I'd like to see that.

Lois said...

SHILLIG4FAM -- yeah, the centerpiece was kind of a "throw some bottles from Nigel's bottle collection together with some branches I cut off the bushes in front of the pool" and call it good.

Did you notice my table cloth was a bed sheet and I had the one cloth napkin I own in the middle?

Oh, I'm so pathetic.

CW -- hey, I don't think there was any bacon with the strawberries. We'll have to look into that next time.

rena said...

you should have mixed bacon with the strawberries and called it "Iron Stomach" instead of "Iron Chef".

Lois said...

RENA -- iron stomach, that's hilarious! Our "secret ingredient" for July is cheese. I'm searching all over for some kind of cheese drink. Do you think it exists?

Johnna said...

Those milk jug skulls are killer amazing!

Lois said...

JOHNNA -- I saw that on some Web site. I thought they were so cute and since we're milk-aholics at our house, we had plenty of materials!