What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, June 9, 2008

Staycation is the new Black

Did you know that "staycations" are all the rage this summer? That's when you don't have any money for a trip, so you just stay home on your vacation. Being the trend-followers that we are, of course we have to try it (OK, I'm not fooling anyone. We were going to visit the grandparents, but our savings collapsed along with Nigel's lung).

So this summer we're doing what we're calling "family camp."

Each day we're picking a different theme and doing activities around that theme. The conditions are that whatever we do has to be FREE and we cannot leave the county (on account of gas being so expensive and Frances' tendency to barf if we drive for more than 10 minutes at a time).

We start tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep you posted on what fun (or horrible) times we're having.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just have to say y'all are totally awesome!

Shana said...

That's not a bad idea. Very creative.

Putz said...

this sounds so great...i'm stuck here for the summer...so take me along with you

The MacMizzles said...

Fab-fabulous. We put up our tent in our backyard 3 weekends ago. (We have also drained our savings, you know, after our house flooded.) Anyway, the neighbors were conserned, they live practically on top of us, as we live in townhomes. Anyway, the kids loved it....we loved watching our kids have no idea that we really weren't camping..and then we dreaded that some day, they will actually be too old to fool.

I think this sounds great! I admire your ability to make things so fun. Perhaps I will emulate you this summer.

Geo said...

Sounds fun! And so practical. We had a staycation honeymoon, proving that it's not so important where you go, but it's all about who you're with.

Camille said...

I LOVE staycation! What are your themes? I'm in charge of our self proclaimed holiday/family reunion this year and we need this kind of thing. I'll give you credit for all your ideas, I swear!

Brandi said...

Sounds cool! Keep us posted on how it goes. And free is always good!

Lois said...

SHILLIG4FAMILY -- let's hope it works out well! I'll be sure to post about each day's activities.

SHANA -- a lot less stress than taking a "travel" vacation.

PUTZ -- oh, you wish.

McMILLANS -- that's my kids' fondest dream is to live in a tent in the backyard! You're awesome!

GEO -- staycation honeymoon? You win.

MICAH & CAMILLE -- I'll be blogging about each day's activities, so keep reading!

BESTFAMILY -- yes, free is wonderful.

rena said...

A few years ago we did the same idea visiting tourists spots in Arid-zona. Everything had to be a day trip.

Lois said...

RENA -- how fun!

Johnna said...

Staycations are the best. We did this for at least four summers in a row. I like your rules, mine were similar. I wasn't as good as you at generating all the ideas (I've read ahead, and your family camp activities are blowing my socks off), as my oldest got to be eight she and some of the other kids didn't think my insights into what was fun were so great, that my emphasis was too much on hiking. So I hung a big piece of butcher paper on the wall a couple weeks before school let out, and let everyone write on it their ideas of what they wanted to do during the summer.

This summer I'm trying to come up with some point system--everyone can ride a bike now, I'd like to see how many days in a row we can leave the car in the driveway, or what mileage limit we can keep it under.