What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

No Blood For Oil

But what about "Plasma For Food"?

Yes, in my quest for food storage, I've joined the ranks of college students and the homeless -- today I sold my plasma.

For those of you who haven't enjoyed this pastime, here's how it went:

I called up the nearest plasma center (yes, there are THREE in my town) and made an appointment and found out what all I had to bring.

Just before arriving, I made sure to eat lots of meat and drink plenty of fluids.

I arrived at the place and had to show them a photo ID, my social security card and proof of my address.

The last one was kind of tricky. Since my driver's license STILL has my sister Lorna's address on it, I had to bring in a postmarked envelope with my name and address on it. OK. Who writes letters anymore? I brought in my phone bill (no postmark since everything is "bulk mail" and it's listed under my husband's name), my pay stub (again, no postmark since they're handed to us), my mortgage statement (again, no postmark) and a letter from my mother (postmarked, but Dot is very formal and addressed it to "Mrs. Nigel," so it didn't count). My goodness, I live two blocks away! I offered to walk them to my home to prove where I live, but they weren't going for it. Finally they made copies of EVERYTHING and went with that.

Then there was a lot of waiting around.

They finally called my name and I was in a little room being quizzed on my traveling and sexual past (which luckily there's very little of either). Then they took my photo, my temperature, my weight, my blood pressure, and a sample of my blood (the iron level has to be at least 40 and mine was right on 40). Then they had THREE phlebotomists look at my veins and discuss whether they were too small or not (they decided they just might do).

Then more waiting around.

Then I was put in another little room being quizzed again about my traveling and sexual past. After being asked the same question 10 times, I began to wonder, "Maybe I have been to Equatorial Guinea. Maybe I have had a corneal implant. Maybe I did exchange money for sex since 1977." They did a physical on me (you know, the usual urine sample, reflex checks, listening to my heart and lungs, CHECKING FOR NEEDLE TRACKS BETWEEN MY TOES). My blood pressure had to be at least 100/60. Mine was 102/60. I'm telling you, I was just squeaking by all these exams.

Then more waiting around.

FINALLY, I got into the blood-letting room. The actual plasma donation was the quickest and least painful part of the whole ordeal. Just sit back, squeeze a ball, watch TV, read my book, etc. It was over much too quickly.

But, I got my 30 bucks (think of all the ramen noodles I can buy with that!) and I have a very lovely purple bandage on my arm.

16 comments:

b. said...

How much Top Ramen?

ask c-dub....exactly HALF what you could last year at this time for the same amount of $$.

Anonymous said...

you are one brave woman...

Geo said...

You going back for more?

dalene said...

Yep. Last week it was 5/$1. Last year it was 10/$1. Inflation has hit the oriental noodle market even more drastically than rice or oil!

Putz said...

i once gave blood when thomas monsen was in the bunk next to mine, but then i got diabetis and can't give blood any more

JandB said...

well, if the iron level has to be at least 40, then there is no way i can sell my plasma! this is such a disappointment because i've always wanted to try to sell my plasma

debi9kids said...

Wow! Really? I had no idea it is such an ordeal! (I can't give blood, always anemic!)

dishes and laundry said...

You can earn some serious cash donating plasma! I tried it once years ago, but it made me sick - which it shouldn't - it should be easier than whole blood giving. I want to try again - it could be like a second job!

You get even more money if you go back in two weeks, right?

The MacMizzles said...

Testify sister....I did it after my first son was born, I hardly talked about it. It was so degrading. I did it a lot to make ends meet. I was convinced after leaving that I had a disease or something. Like my plasma was not good enough. They called me after all the final tests of the plasma and wanted more of it. Yikes! WHAT THE BL*&^$%*P is wrong with this system. I wish you didn't have to go through that Lois.

Lois said...

B & CW -- yes, ramen prices are outrageous! My kids eat it raw. They call it "monkey chow."

SHILLIG4FAM -- not really brave, but I had to do something. I was running out of things to blog about!

GEO -- I've already made my next appointment. I hope my little vein can handle it!

PUTZ -- wow. What a brush with fame! Now that's a story.

BECKS -- I bought some iron pills to get my levels up. There's nothing like going there and being turned away (especially since the finger prick hurts more than the needle in the arm!).

BOUFMOM9 -- what's with all the anemia? What should we be eating?

D&L -- yeah, you can go twice a week and it's more money the second time. Plus, they're running in special offer right now! Blue light sale on plasma!!!

McMILLANS -- I don't HAVE to go through it. I sometimes like to do stuff just for the experience. Actually, a few ladies in my neighborhood do it for gas money.

SC_mommie said...

I donated when I lived near Lois & Nigel 15 years ago. I donated again before my 1 yo was born & I started again a couple of months ago... I do it for grocery money. The initial physical IS long, and if you hit the center at the 'wrong' time- you'll wait a good hour+ before you even get screened (BP, temp, weight, finger stick, the questions....). THEN you're talking at least another ½ hour before getting a bed & then stuck... My best time, from hitting the door to walking out w/cash in hand, has been 1½ hours. You DO meet some 'interesting' folks, for sure, but usually I prefer to read my Ensign... It's not something I talk about much either. There's something to be said for the experience though. Kinda like my traveling cross-country for 4 days straight on the Greyhound. At 19, it was like an adventure (for the first couple of days, then you become so tired you pray for it to be over), but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy now... I reckon' most folks wouldn't understand why someone would WILLINGLY go get stuck w/a HUGE needle, sell something that comes from w/in their own body & accept a li'l money for it. I don't weigh enough to make the big bucks... I get $20 for each donation. It's not much, but it sure does help!!

Ha! I just got visited by a Census worker!! Maybe I should've sent that white envelope w/the green writing back in... ya reckon'?? :oP

Tiffany said...

Tim and I have talked about him donating plasma every time we want to go on a date. But we've never actually followed through with it (but we always have to cheapen our dates up a lot).

Lois said...

SC MOMMIE -- yeah, I had no idea you were doing that. I do find it interesting that I have blogged about donating blood and no one thinks that's weird and when I blog about selling plasma, all of a sudden it's horrible to have that needle stuck in me. It's the same thing! Very thought provoking.

TIFFANY -- hey, why don't you sell plasma AS your date? I have a friend who used to always give blood on his first date to see what kind of girl she really is.

The MacMizzles said...

I'd sell my plasma again. It's just the initial ordeal that is a little weird.

You truly are a great person Lois.

DOC said...

What? You get Paid??? And I gave mine away for free!!!

Lois said...

McMILLANS -- well, I tried to sell my plasma again and I got turned down because my iron level was too low. I guess it's back to liver & onions for me for dinner!

DOC -- yes, I got paid. The only good part (besides the money and something to blog about) is that it means that I had a good excuse for the Red Cross lady (who calls me every 6 weeks) as to why I couldn't give blood.