What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Family Camp Day One: The Great Outdoors

Today we celebrated "The Great Outdoors" on our first day of family camp.

We drove to a park in the canyon (free!) and attempted some rock climbing (which was a bust). Then we went on a nature hike heading toward the waterfalls (with Alice-Grace freaking out the whole time that we wouldn't find our way back -- she's convinced that I'm always getting us lost).

The highlight of our nature walk was our tape bracelets. We put a ring of tape (sticky side out) on our wrists and stuck various leaves, flowers, shells, etc. on them that we found along the way. Please note that Nigel has a big hunk of broken glass on his.
Half-way to the waterfalls Alice-Grace starting complaining that her legs hurt, so we stopped at a campground and had a delicious picnic lunch. What we did not realize is that it must've been the peak of caterpillar season because they were dropping on us from the trees right and left! Finally Jeffrey had enough and exclaimed, "Can we go home? All these bugs are creeping me out!" This from the boy who keeps snails as pets. Check out this branch that is COVERED with them!
So we headed back to the park and tried to search for water bugs in the river with our homemade waterscopes. I LOVED the waterscopes, I thought they worked great -- but the kids were not impressed.
We attempted to fly a kite, but that resulted in much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth from my children. We tried to do some leaf imprints (pounding leaves with rocks on white cloth), but instead of producing beautiful green designs, it just produced horrendous noise.

The kids' favorite part was our impromptu talent show in the park's amphitheater and filling up their water bottles from an old fashioned water pump.

After much complaining, I figured my kids are not the "outdoorsy" types and we soon left the canyon and headed to a bookstore and then to a gourmet chocolate shop (yes, we spent money -- but since it was on food, does it break the rules?).

Back home, we learned about campfire safety and used pretzel sticks and frosting to demonstrate different ways of building fires.

That evening we went to the local life science museum (free admission) and saw a show on animal adaptations. It was excellent and I was quite impressed with Frances, who knew most of the answers (she's addicted to "Animal Planet"). Frances and Alice-Grace were very brave and held a California king snake and a blue-tongue skink, while Jeffrey and I just watched -- from afar.
We were supposed to use our new camping skills to build a fire and roast marshmallows, but a sudden storm came up and it was much too windy and cold. We'll have to save that for another day (they weren't content to just roast marshmallows over the stove like we usually do).

All in all we had a lot of fun and the kids seemed to enjoy our time together as a family. Sure not everything worked out the way I thought it would, but we're all still speaking to each other and no one wound up in the emergency room. So far, so good!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so elaborate! that is awesome!

dalene said...

"Please note that Nigel has a big hunk of broken glass on his.
" Duly noted. I am amused.

You are so creative. I really want to be one of your kids in my next life.

Geo said...

Sounds like a successful family vacation so far. Keep the chronicles and the promises of photos coming.

Rynell said...

I can't wait for the photos!

It sounds very successful! We are stay-cationing ourselves this summer. So far, yours sounds better.

rena said...

My hubby always tries to do every thing we have planned on our outings, I just try to go with the flow.

You sound like your family had a great time and you were very creative.

Nigel - what's with the glass?

Lois said...

SHILLIG4FAM -- it was fun.

CW -- I'm not sure that you would really like that; but if I were your mom, I would let you barf anytime you wanted to.

GEO -- I finally loaded the photos (it only took 43 minutes).

RYNELL -- I don't know. I'm only on day two and I'm already exhausted.

RENA -- so good to hear from you! Yeah, I know how your vacations go, but they're always awesome. Nigel's an odd duck, what can I say?

SuziQ said...

Wow, you are such an awesome mom! Sounds like a great day!

Lois said...

SUZIQ -- I don't know about awesome, but we had fun.

Geo said...

Yeah!! Photos!!!

Lois said...

GEO -- yes, finally photos!

Thomas said...

I roasted marshmallows over my stove once, but they ended up tasting like natural gas...

Lois said...

THOMAS -- we have an electric stove, so ours taste great, but we occasionally get melted marshmallow stuck to the burners.

rena said...

are those dinosaurs on your hat?

Lois said...

RENA -- no, I'm wearing Frances' PINK camouflage hat (you know, in case I need to blend in with a jungle covered with Pepto-Bismal).