What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Family Camp Day Seven: Pirate Day

Why couldn't the young pirate go to the movie? Because it was rated "arrrr"!

OK, bad joke. Like dinosaur day, pirate day kind of fizzled (maybe it's because we're burned out on family camp, maybe it's because real life started creeping in, I don't know).

We went to a local park (please note that we do go to a different park each time) and made pirate hats and paper boats. We then sailed the boats in a little stream. It was a good competition between Nigel's and Frances' boats. Poor Jeffrey, his boat kept getting stuck in the weeds (we said it was picking up passengers). Mine didn't win, but it did keep its shape the longest (my origami skills are awesome!). Alice-Grace didn't want to get hers wet.

After a picnic lunch, I had lots of games and activities planned (buried treasure in the sand volleyball court, see how many pretzels you can pick up with a hook-hand, pirate "Simon Says," etc.), but it all dissolved in a puddle of tears because Jeffrey kept falling down and he was convinced it was the park's fault (not his slippery shoes).

Once we got back home, everyone soon scattered and then we ended up in the pool. Pirates went swimming, didn't they? OK, maybe not of their own free will, but they did go swimming. Can we call that a "walk the plank" activity?

Then our day was eaten up by Frances going to her church group activity and Nigel heading off to scouts. I had to go to bed early because it was back to work for me the next morning.

We actually did our pirate craft the next day. Here are our rice crispy treat pirate sculptures. Frances did an island (check out the palm tree) with a cave full of gold coins. Jeffrey did a treasure chest full of gold coins and a pirate ship and a cannon. Alice-Grace copied Frances' island, but hers has barrette fish and a bridge.

(photos of rice crispy creations coming soon)

That's the end of our family camp. It was a lot of fun and the kids really got into it. They looked forward to the different themes and activities and although we didn't get to everything that I had planned, it was wonderful just to be together. I was amazed by all the FREE activities within our city and it was good for the kids to realize that you don't need to spend a ton of money to have a good time.

11 comments:

SuziQ said...

Sounds awesome...I am so inspired by your creativity, Lois! :)

Rynell said...

I've loved reading your Family Camp 08 Adventures! You've inspired me to do some fun things locally.

Lois said...

SUZIQ -- yeah, I bet you're even happier that I'm back at work and you don't have to get up so early!

RYNELL -- we do a lot of local stuff because I don't like driving (especially since Frances spends the whole time barfing while I'm driving).

SuziQ said...

Yes, yes, so happy you're back to work. :) But I still have to get up early!

Lois said...

SUZIQ -- who needs sleep anyway?

debi9kids said...

Lois, Your ideas are incredible! I have been LOVING these posts!!!!

:) Debi

ps Please see this post on my blog:
http://bouffard11.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-kids-gave-my-blog-award.html

I chose your blog for an award!

Putz said...

7 days x27 activities a day annually for 77 years equals 14,583 ideas that your head will have to come up with which means 14,583 headackes

GrittyPretty said...

lois, if you ever have a pirates day repeat come visit our pirate tree house. or just come anyway.

Tiffany said...

Even though your last day fizzled a bit, all in all it seemed like an awesome week. Can't wait until next year!

The MacMizzles said...

I love how REAL you are. I also love that you embrace what is. I can't wait to see the rice krispies.

Lois said...

BOUFMOM9 -- I am so honored by the award! You are so gracious. Thank you so much. You're awesome.

PUTZ -- that's a lot of headaches!

GRITTY PRETTY -- pirate tree house? I have to check that out!!!

TIFFANY -- even though not everything went as planned, it was still a lot of fun. The best part was just being together as a family.

McMILLANS -- one of these days I'll get my act together and post those photos. I'm so lazy.