What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Do You Have My Quarter?"

This is a blog I stole from Babs about her paper route as a young girl:

"...speaking of those 8 doors i delivered to, there was an old man that lived at one of the houses and he was always on his porch when i came by. When i would hand him the newspaper he would be kind enough to give me a quarter. well, this happened so much that i came to expect it. One day he wasn't on the porch, so i rang the doorbell and when he answered the door i gave him the newspaper and said, do you have my quarter? yes, I'm a selfish little girl, but who cares, i got my money!"

(Note to Babs -- what's with the lowercase letters? Are you taking a stand against the hierarchical nature of capitalization?)

2 comments:

dalene said...

becks, babs, don't you just love her? i'm following her lead with the no caps thing.

don't get me started with how chintzy people are to the paper delivery person.

but do you know until she cut her bangs and her hair got so dark my daughter L~ every now and then would sort of catch me off guard by how much she looked like becks when she was that age.

Lois said...

L-- is adorable. I miss her and K-- now that I'm not the crossing guard anymore. I must admit that K-- was my favorite of all the kids I crossed.