What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Scratch, Scratch, Scratch

When I was a young tween (back in the days before anyone knew what a "tween" was), my parents were gone for the evening and left me, my sister Rena, and my brother, Stillwell (and Stillwell's friend, Red) alone in the house.

I went into my parent's bedroom to find the TV magazine, which was usually on the organ bench. Yes, my parents have a full-size organ in their bedroom (the kind that plays MUSIC, not a kidney). As I was looking through the newspaper, I heard a "scratch, scratch, scratch" coming from the organ. I stopped, looked around. Nothing. Again I searched through the pile of newspaper. "Scratch, scratch, scratch." I looked closer at the organ just as a big black, hairy thing came out from the keyboard! AAAAAHHHHH!

I ran to get Rena (a bad choice since Rena is the most paranoid person there is on the face of the planet, but Stillwell and Red were busy playing "Risk" and didn't want to be bothered). I dragged Rena into the bedroom. She didn't even have to wait to hear the "scratch, scratch, scratch," she was already running out of the room.

Finally, my parents (Dot and Ardale) got home. Rena and I told them what was going on. Of course, they just rolled their eyes and ignored us. We begged and pleaded for them to check, and finally they relented.

With Ardale lifting the top of the organ off and Dot lecturing us about how we shouldn't watch scary movies -- BAM! A huge black cat leaped out of the organ and ran terrified out of the house. We, of course, all started jumping up and down and screaming.

Somehow, the neighbors cat had gotten into our house, crawled up into the organ and then couldn't get back out! Who knows how long it was in there! (And judging by the smell of the inside of the organ, it was a while)

7 comments:

rena said...

I remember when that happened! I think we were watching a scary movie at the time.
My kids inherited my wussy chicken gene. Now I have to be the brave one!

Lois said...

I know. Wasn't that funny? We were so freaked out. Yeah, my kids inherited the wussy gene, too, especially Jeffrey. The boy is afraid of bunnies and kittens! Then again, he loves snails and worms. Go figure.

GrittyPretty said...

i LOVE your family's names.

Lois said...

GRITTY PRETTY -- Of course, I've changed all the names to protect the "innocent" (or to avoid lawsuits, you decide).

Geo said...

I've got some pictures of banana slugs in Oregon that would strike fear into even Jeffrey's heart.

Lois said...

GEO -- Oh, banana slugs. If they're good enough to be a mascot for UC-Santa Cruz, they're good enough for Jeffrey!

Lois said...

PLEASE NOTE -- I just heard from Ardale that the cat had been really good about holding in its bodily fluids (we're figuring it was stuck in there for a few days), but it was so scared when he opened up the top of the organ that the cat just LET IT FLY ALL AT ONCE!!!