What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Not Freegan Buying It

I first started really thinking about the psychology behind consumerism after reading the book "Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping" by Judith Levine. I love stuff like this. I still need to read the book by the lady who wore the same dress every day for one year (OK, I'm so pathetic that I've practically done that without the intent of writing a book about the experience) and the book by the women who went a year without buying anything made in China (I do that when I take the kids to the toy store -- "You can buy anything you want, but it can't be made in China!" -- that explains all the Legos and Playmobile stuff in our house).

I then looked into the Freegan movement. This is a group of young people who are sticking it to "the man" (who is "the man"? Am I "the man"?) by not buying anything. They dig their food out of dumpsters and live in abandoned buildings. They also don't believe in holding jobs. OK. I don't quite get this. You're not paying for anything, but someone else DID pay for that food and building you're using. I'm not a big fan of the something for nothing philosophy.

Now I'm way into Freecycle. Freecycle is a group of people who post things on the Internet that they either want to receive, or want to give away. The thing is, it all has to be FREE! So far we have given away coupons for craft stores (I don't craft) and we've tried to give away a scout shirt and school workbooks (though the problem with Freecycle is a lot of time the people never show up to get the items). I have received an awesome dress from a nice woman who replied to my pitiful pleas for clothes (I hate shopping for clothes, but let's save that for another blog). I've seen kittens, baby clothes, food, furniture, and even a car listed for free. It's great.

Another great way to get free stuff is to help people move. Since we live in a high-turn-around area (read: lots of college students), people are constantly moving in and out. Nigel and I always help them move and inevitably, they get sick of loading up their belongings and ask, "Do you guys just want to have the rest of our stuff?" This is how we got the majority of our furniture, a PIANO and even our pet frog, Bluto.

Then there's the free hot-dogs and pizza at R.C. Willey. I figure that I bought a bed and a TV from there, so they owe me some free snacks and soda pop.

What are your favorite "free" things? Please comment!

7 comments:

JandB said...

The super supper club meals!!! those are the best!!! I just like getting free food! today at work we had a drug rep. come and bring us PF Changs!!! those lettuce wraps are just yummy!

Lois said...

BECKS -- oh, those drug reps are the best. Free food, free pens, free pads of paper. I've never had the lettuce wraps. In fact, I've never been to PF Changs. Is it good?

JandB said...

oh it is delicious! maybe i'll get you a gift certificate so you and nigel can check it out!

Geo said...

Grocery store sample days. Sam's Club is great for that, but you've already said youcan't shop there without overspending, so forget it.

When we were in Oregon, we went to two cheese factories and WOW, what great samples!

Art strolls are usually good for free food, but yu probably know that sine you've provided some of it.

Freecycle and I used to be tight. I ought to work on rekindling that relationship.

I miss our 4th ward swaps. Those were THE BEST.

Geo said...

The Holy Ghost goes to sleep at midnight, and my typing skills are down by 1:00. I came here too late to be legible.

dalene said...

What size is that scout shirt? I need a blue one for a good-sized 8-year-old.

I am the queen of I-will-sit-and-listen-to-you-try-to-sell-me-just-about-anything-if-you'll-give-me-something-free-for-my-time.

And free stuff with my purchases from Bath & Body Works. (Which I have given up to pay for my new carpet.)

And free paint. (Which I'm still afraid is going to peel off my walls.)

Lois said...

GEO -- I miss those 4th Ward swaps, too. That's where I got all my clothes!

CW -- yes, I know all about peeling paint. Our place was originally painted with oil, then painted over with latex with NO primer. The good news is that it only seems to peel in the bathroom (humidity) and on wood surfaces (too slick?).