What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Entertaining Ourselves to Death

So my husband, Nigel, once had a book titled, "Entertaining Ourselves to Death." I never read it, but the title has stayed with me. I would like to think of myself as being above the things of this commercial world, but I'm always getting sucked into it.

I hate the idea of buying things I don't need with money that I don't have, just to spend the rest of my life dusting it, moving it, and having to take care of it. I'm always thinking that this new purchase will make my life complete. Well, surprise, surprise, it doesn't.

Sometimes I am good. Often times when handed a coupon for some "must have" product, I just look the much too peppy salesperson in the eye and say, "Want to see me save even more money?" And I promptly crumple it up and throw it away and walk out of the store.

Anyway, so my daughter, Alice-Grace, and I are totally bored. In America, what do you do when you're bored? You either spend money or eat. Mostly, you end of going to the mall and doing both. What's the most common problem with Americans? They're too fat and in debt. So, I had to come up with something to do that would entertain us, not cost anything, actually do some good for someone else, and maybe even get some food out of it. Then it came to me --

DONATE BLOOD. I called the local American Red Cross chapter (they're always calling me anyway because I have a very common blood type and I'm a "bleeder") and set up an appointment. I grabbed Alice-Grace, headed out, and we made a day of it.

I got to sit and relax and read a magazine, they had a children's play area for Alice-Grace, I did something good for someone else, AND we got free cookies and juice afterwards. What could be better than that? Plus I got a very pretty pink bandage around my arm.

We skipped happily out of the building with our boredom gone and our tummies full. Plus, I had the satisfaction of knowing that for once, I didn't give in to my urge to spend money.

3 comments:

Geo said...

Hey! Good solution! I'm a donor too. I haven't been in for a few months and the Red Cross is starting to leave me messages. If I get in there this week, maybe the next time you and Alice-Grace are ready to get stuck, I can go on a bloodsucking date with you. We could eat fig newtons together. Whaddya say?

Lois, I am SO GLAD you are blogging! You've got the skillz, babe.

(I'm feeling smug now about being your first commenter. And probably your first subscriber too? Them's bragging rights!)

Mom of 9 kids said...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading Lois Common Denominator. Witty!!!
Love, Mom of 9 kids

Lois said...

GEO -- yeah, we'll definitely have to go together. That'll be so fun. I have a friend who used to always take girls to give blood on his first date (that really thins the flock). Of course, let's hope this time they don't lose the laptop full of my information again!

MOM OF 9 KIDS -- I'm so glad you liked it! Let's hope you keep reading and making comments!!!