What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Monday, October 15, 2007

Super (Supper) Club

So in my never ending quest to save money on food, we've started a Supper Club (I once accidentally typed it "super club" in an e-mail and that's what my husband constantly refers to it as -- that's what I get for making fun of his cake we got at the Mexican bakery that had "Hoppy Birthdoy" written on it). Every Saturday, me, my sister Lorna, and my nieces Babs and Ginger (and sometimes Molly when she's in town), each make a big dinner and then divide them up amongst ourselves. That way we have a variety of meals for almost the whole week.

I have to say that I love it. It actually makes me excited to go grocery shopping because I have a plan (instead of wandering the aisles moving things off and on the shelves -- yes, the can of peas in the diaper aisle? That's me). It makes me look forward to cooking and then I get to hang out with my wonderful sister and nieces.

Oh, and the food! It's been great. The best part is that Lorna goes totally nuts. She can't just give you one or two cookies with your meal, she has to give you a whole package! She doesn't just do a serving of lasagne, it's a whole pan full! Everyone should have a sister like her (me? I'm the slacker who willing sits back and receives -- it's not my fault she's an overachiever).

Seriously, this is the best thing ever. Not only do I stay in my food budget (of course, that's also thanks to Frances), but I get lots of delicious dinners ready to eat. Yum!

2 comments:

Geo said...

I'm thinking that there should be some sort of eSupperClub where like-minded cooks could be screened for compatability and then grouped together for food-swaps. What you're doing with your sisters and nieces is so great. I wanna do this too!

Lois said...

GEO -- it is totally fun. Yeah, you do have to be compatible (Lorna did throw away the brussels sprouts I had as a side dish). But it's been so amazing because we've loved everything that everyone has made so far. I've already bought ingredients for my next dish (pastitio -- a Greek casserole). I can't wait!