What I've Been Reading Instead of Cleaning My House

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Deal or No Deal?

Now that I'm paying more attention to grocery store prices, I'm becoming much more savvy on what's a good deal and what's not.

For example, a local store is advertising a sale where you buy 10 Kraft products and you get $5.00 off your total grocery bill. I had coupons for most of the participating items, so this sounded like a total score.

If I went with this sale, I would spend about $31.00 on the 10 items, get $5.00 off, and then save about $5.00 with my coupons for a total of $21.00.

Then I looked closer at the prices for the Kraft products and they were almost DOUBLE the cost of the exact same items at my regular el cheapo supermarket.

If I went to the inexpensive market, I would spend about $20.00 on the 10 items, save $5.00 with my coupons for a total $15.00.

I guess it pays to do your research and not assume it's a sale just because they say it's a sale.

5 comments:

Am'n2Deep said...

So very true. I've noticed this a lot. You have to watch those devious stores!

Rynell said...

I hear you.

One thing I've noticed: products are costing more now that they did a year ago or even a few months ago. The same products bought at the same store. I guess I could blame inflation, high gas prices or something. But instead, I'm frustrated by that increase. All the more reason to look for great deals, I guess.

The MacMizzles said...

Just when I thought I could longer be blown away by your genius, you throw something like this into the mix! You are simply a genius.

Lois said...

AMN2DEEP -- yes, I must be much more savvy.

RYNELL -- what is up with that? Have you seen the cost of eggs? And milk? It's outrageous!

McMILLANS -- I don't know about genius. Just now waking up to how I get ripped off every time I go to a store.

Geo said...

Good thing math isn't hard.